Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

clinical fellowships b4 residency  

• 0/5

Author2 Posts

Hello guys,
in this topic we want to discuss the option of getting into clinical fellowships for those who have finished a residency at home country

to sum up ... if you have finished residency at home country + finish all 3 steps , you are eligible to apply to clinical fellowships in the US.

surely this is not the typical way .. but ppl applying to competitive surgical sub specialties as Ortho , Urology , Neurosurg. AND have done residency in that specialty @ home country may find this way easier to "get into " the US system ... some suggest u have better chances with this way rather than applying to residency in these bloody competitive specialties.

after u finish fellowship u have better chances to match in residency since u will get in contact with surgeons and get LORs .., finish ur way and become board certified.

i hope ppl who have any further information would contribute to this discussion ...

salam alikom
i agree with u doc...im interested in cardiothoracic surgery n im working in this field 1 year ago [but not as regular resident] n im trying to get a residency here in egypt n finish it 1st, then try to have a fellowship in US ..ik 2 docs finished cts recidency here...1 of them finished fellowship in cts in usa then got a residency..the other was a university stuff member here so he passed interviwes n got residency directly.
so i think if any1 is so interested in any speciality...its the best way to have a fellowship 1st....like me, i wanna work in cts or ill leave medicine.
but the ques is.....is it easy to get a fellowship in the field i like..is it payed or for free...hands on or off???
another idea is to have general sur. residency then a fellowship in subspeciality....but still difficult

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

step3 b4 September or b4 interview?
radiology fellowships/residency
fellowships in plastic surgery
show Related resources

Underground Clinical Vignettes USMLE Step 1
Free Selection criteria of Residency Programs
Underground Clinical Vignettes: Pediatrics, Classic Clinical Cases for USMLE Step 2 and Clerkship Review

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact