Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

is this true or false;  

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

a\)in pulmonary system,the arteries serve as more important blood reservoir than in systemic circulation

b)in pulmonary circulation ,obatruction of blood flow is much more likely to cause a retrograde ventricular failure than same condition in systemic circulation

from kaplan note questions.

regarding a) i know pulonary veins are more compliant than systemic veins(but yet systemic veins are the greates blood reservoirs b/c simply we have more veins in systemic circuit than in pulmonary circuit)

and pulmonary arteries are again more compliante than systemic arteries ,and i thought for same reason as above still systemic arteries should have more blood than pulmonary arteries in them ,but kaplan answer says statement a)is correct!

am i missing something here?

and i have no idea about statement b)

I think they are comparing the Pulmonary artery to systemic ATERIES i.e no veins in consideration here.

In that case a). is correct since as we know pulmonary arteries have much lower resistance than systemic arteries.

but i thought for the same reason that systemic veins are greater reservoir than polmunary veins(regardless of fact that pulmonary veins have greater compliance) i think{ a} can not be correct

so if a is correct ,how do you explain that ;systemic veins are greates blood reservoir in body(and not pulmonary veins)?

Statement B is true because if there is a block in the systemic circuit, the high compliance pulmonary vasculature will accomodate the blood that is backing up like a buffer.So a right ventricular failure will result only when the back up overwhelms the pulmonary vessels.

This buffer is absent between the pulmonary bed and the right ventricle.

dr.aparna,,sorry,i do not understand what you are saying could you pleases explain more clearly
i am thinking b/c as u mentioned pplmunary system has less reststance so when an obstruction happens there they still can expand and less pressure would be on RIGHT ventricle ,,,,,quote=Dr.Aparna]Statement B is true because if there is a block in the systemic circuit, the high compliance pulmonary vasculature will accomodate the blood that is backing up like a buffer.So a right ventricular failure will result only when the back up overwhelms the pulmonary vessels.

This buffer is absent between the pulmonary bed and the right ventricle.[/quote]

The pulmonary vasculature is very compliant.It will accomodate the blood that is accumulating because of a systemic obstruction.This will prevent stress on the right ventricle.

Such a reservoir is missing between the pulmonary system and the right ventricle.So the right ventricle is in trouble if the pulmonary artery is obstructed.

thanks doc.nod

can u please elaborate n make my concept more clear by explaining two statemnts as below

a)pulmonary compliance increases with advancing age as elasticity decreases with age

b) arterial compliance decreases with age becoming stiff thus their elasticity increase with age???????

kindly comment briefly on statemnet b as if pulmonary n arterial complainces are diff things

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

True or false question
true or false
true or false
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact