Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

gravity and blood pressure  

• 0/5

Author14 Posts

which one has the greates pressure in an upright individuaL?

1)pedal vein

2)brachial artery

3)tibial vein

4) femoral vein

Pedal vein?

kaplan audio says the lowest ARTERY have greatest pressure in standing person ,that is why i am not sure it is either brachial artery(although closer to heart)or the pedal vein.

what do you think back to the books..

There is no way a vein has greater pressure than an artery.

If it was so, what is the point of using leg muscles as a pump then? And Jesus would never have died from blood pooling in his legs, then Christianity would never have existed. There would then be no wars. And the world would have been a better place... OMG, I wish pedal vein has higher pressure than brachial artery...

And can you imagine inserting an IV line into the pedal vein if it had a pressure of an artery? Blood would squirt into your eyes!

jakofnives! thanks for the reply. you not only answered my question but also made me laugh in the middle of heart physiology review...grin

so no matter where in body is the artery ,arteries always have greated pressure than veins regardless of distance from heart and position of individual(lying down /standing)

so ,here although pedal vein pressure is increased and brachial artery pressure is decreased but still brachial artery has greater pressure b/c it is an ARTERTY!

BUT if they had asked which vessel has greated change in prressure,that would be the lowest VESSEL which is pedal vein

:-) my bad.

oh no worries,i was thinking same like you just was not suresmiling face
backtobooks wrote:
:-) my bad.

Close your eyes and tick the artery.

But remember that if the choices comprise of only arteries then, as we go down stream :

1. The Pulse pressure and the systolic pressure will increase.
2. The Diastolic and Mean Arterial pressure will decrease.

* I hope I don't have it the wrong way around *

The reason for this is due to the REDUCTION OF ARTERIAL COMPLIANCE as we go downstream.

i beleive you are right.

farther from heart -greater compliance....and we know when compliance increase diastolice increase but systolic pressure decrease-pulse pressure decreases...so Aorta has greatest compliance(greates diastolic pressure and lowest systolic one?) ,,ok,now that i am typing i am confused! i thought aorta systolic pressure is the greates among vessels.

a little correction doctorforever,
as we go farther from the heart the compliance decreases, not increases.because the content of muscle in the tunica media increases, making peripheral arteries more elastic than central arteries i.e aorta etc..& u know elasticity is the inverse of compliance.
& when we move away from heart pulse pressure increases.
the rest u r correct

shujah,thanks for correction ,u r right ,aorta has least muscle so more compliant but going farther amount of muscle in walls increase and comliancy DECREASE.

but i think u r not right about elasticity;more elasticity means more comliance (not less) and that is what occuring when we go farther from heart (in arteries only );mucle becomes more,elastine becomes less,-compliance become less..
shujah wrote:
a little correction doctorforever,
as we go farther from the heart the compliance decreases, not increases.because the content of muscle in the tunica media increases, making peripheral arteries more elastic than central arteries i.e aorta etc..& u know elasticity is the inverse of compliance.
& when we move away from heart pulse pressure increases.
the rest u r correct

to correct myself;

and this is not about gravity affect (i do not know how the subject switched,anyhow)

overall,farther we go from heart BOTH SYSTOLIC AND DIASTOLIC BP DECREASE.(i know compliance is decreasing and it is supposed to increase sytolic bp ,but here this does not happen ,i think it is b/c of effect of resistance in vessel which drpes systolic bp aswell)

but diastolic decrease more
so PP increase

doctorforever wrote:
i beleive you are right.

farther from heart -greater compliance....and we know when compliance increase diastolice increase but systolic pressure decrease-pulse pressure decreases...so Aorta has greatest compliance(greates diastolic pressure and lowest systolic one?) ,,ok,now that i am typing i am confused! i thought aorta systolic pressure is the greates among vessels.

,,,it has been shown that the elasticity (distensibility) and the buffering capacity (compliance) of the common carotid artery is decreasing with aging( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9783484 )

but since we are on elasticity topic i am gonna ask ;why by aging ,(aging= less elastine fiber=less distensibility=less elasticity) the LUNGs compliance increase?!!!!

seems to me that elasticity effects compliance differently in vessels comparing to lung tissue,

any one ? any idea? please share

thanks

Edited by doctorforever on Apr 25, 2010 - 4:48 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/606690
by againg elastic fibers DECREASE so recoil force decrease so more comliant lungs .ok.

but in vessels, again elastin fibers should decrease but b/c we have atheroschlerosis aswell so compliance decrease.
www.courseweb.uottawa.ca/me.../histologybloodvessels.htm
now ,just comparing arteries;;;;;going away from heart,,,elastic fibers in vessel wall decrease (large arteris like aorta have the greates elastic fiber ) ,,but why aorta is the most compliant artery then?

Edited by doctorforever on Apr 25, 2010 - 4:36 PM

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

acetylcholine and blood pressure
regulation of blood flow and pressure
blood pressure and respiration
show Related resources

Blueprints in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Human Anatomy and Physiology GC 1132
Kaplan Lecture Notes and Qbank

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact