Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

SHBG & Obesity  

• 0/5

Author5 Posts

This is too confusing for me. Goljan RR says;
Estrogen stimulates synthesis of SHBG in liver.
Obesity ,hypothyroidism decrease synthesis of SHBG.

Apparently obesity means more adipose tissue which means more aromatization of Androgens to estrogen so more estrogen should increase SHBG synthesis which goljan is saying other way. Can somebody explain?

anybody plz?????????????????

Adipose tissue produces the enzymes aromotase and 17ß-hydroxylase dehydrogenase (17ß-HSD). So in obese individuals, there is typically an increased conversion of the androgens testosterone (T) into the oestrogens oestrone and oestradiol, respectively, by aromatase.

In parallel, obesity leads to hyperinsulinaemia, which in turn causes a reduction in the hepatic synthesis and circulating levels of sex-hormone-binding globulin (SHBG). So we can say that obesity may cause increase in sex hormone levels but this increase in the level does not promote a rise in SHBG coz the effect is nulled off by high levels of insulin which in turn cause a decrease in production of SHBG in the liver.

This is the reason why obesity can promote certain cancers like, breast & endometrial as more bioavailability of free ( unbound to SHBG) estrogens for the target tissues.

Edited by oldmommydoc on Dec 22, 2009 - 11:20 AM

oldmommydoc!.....bow to u for helping out. I couldnt find that point anywhere. Makes sense. Thanks alot. God Bless!

Dear RX,
you are very very welcome. Glad I could help out smiling facewink

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

obesity
obesity
complications of obesity
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact