Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

PTH... surgery or not??  

• 0/5

Author4 Posts

Quick question that has been bugging me.

Can anyone tell me what your next course of action would be if you have an elevated PTH, a Ca+ > 11.5 w/ a decrease P04 ?

(I think that Ca+ levels < 11.5 + asymptomatic patient = 2-3 L of fluid PO +/- bisphosphanate +/- P04)

Is the above situation mean surgery of a parathyroid adenoma????? Is that all that is needed to secure the diagnosis? No radiology studies to confirm??? What if the patient was totally asymptomatic??? Still surgery?? What is a sistamibi scan??

Thanks 8)

I found the answers I was looking for... for those of you interested, here it is....

1) chloride/phosphate ratio is <33 = surgery... no questions

2) 2002 NIH Consensus Statement outlines the indications for parathyroidectomy in asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism as: Calcium level more than 1mg/dL above normal, 24 hour urine calcium >400mg, renal dysfunction with creatinine clearance <30% of expected, decreased bone mineral density, age <50, or due to compliance/patient issues.

3) Preoperative localization studies have quickly become state of the art (if not yet the "standard of care") & most endocrine surgeons would at least have one performed (sistamibi scan- nuclear medicine study that localizes PTH adenoma/hyperplasia) to try and avoid the potential morbidity of bilateral neck exploration (ie. bilateral recurrent nerve injury) for what is a single adenoma (when it is due to an adenoma) >90% of the time.
- if asked on the test.... I would probably not pick a sistamibi scan because it is not absolutely needed to go ahead and chop! 8)

Thank you I came to know more about the Sistamibi scan. :P

so is the previous limit of 11.5 outdated now ? Meaning we should answer surgery if Ca is 1mg higher than expected value and pt has signs and symptoms ? No medical treatment options in that case?

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

BLOOD SUPPLY TO PTH
PTH
PTH
show Related resources

NMS Surgery
Kaplan Lecture Notes: Surgery
General Surgery (Board Review Series)

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact