Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

is it still soon to panic  

• 0/5

Author55 Posts

hi friends with no or fewer 2 ivs .

is it still soon to panic while others adding up ivs ?

GL.

i have the same question.....

Will panicking help? Or will you get something out of it? It's better to be aggressive at this time instead of getting frantic...
Dig out your contacts , your old school mates who are in residency positions or fellows or attendings. Ask your friends if they know any attending, PD,PC or anybody...
I don't know how much this will help but I suppose this is better than just fretting about not getting any interviews. God helps those who help themselves...so why not try the best that we can do..
I would even take my folio and show up at the nearby programs and ask to meet with the PD and let him/her know how interested I am in their program. It's better than nothing and who knows....

Anybody agrees with me???

girl^interrupted wrote:
Will panicking help? Or will you get something out of it? It's better to be aggressive at this time instead of getting frantic...
Dig out your contacts , your old school mates who are in residency positions or fellows or attendings. Ask your friends if they know any attending, PD,PC or anybody...
I don't know how much this will help but I suppose this is better than just fretting about not getting any interviews. God helps those who help themselves...so why not try the best that we can do..
I would even take my folio and show up at the nearby programs and ask to meet with the PD and let him/her know how interested I am in their program. It's better than nothing and who knows....

Anybody agrees with me???

I have to disagree with you ,these day people even close friends are not willing to step in ,for whatever reason they may avoid contacting you ,I do not want to blame them ,I do not know their situation ,so I would prefer not to bother them .one of my friend is a physician in very good hospital ,she could not do anything for her sister last year ,she was so disappointed with PD's approach toward her sister for this year match .disapproval

I was adviced not to bother PDs ,they may think you are pushing them and take your inststance as a negative point instead of your interest..

that is what I think .

the main question is ,it is still .....sad.

GL.

azirkani u are very right. i know of a physician who couldnt get his wife in, another his brother in, its not like earlier times anymore. its very risky approaching PD's or PC's , they have a lot of choice at hands and you dont know whether they will appreciate it or not, dont know what mood they are in......its more damaging at times.
Also i know worrying doesnt help but voicing anxieties sometimes helps,
and support from the forum members truly help.

It is early yet.. Many programs wait until MSPE arrives, Most will begin sending iv in mid-october. And yes, more ivs does not necessarily mean a match. Good luck!

Most of my friends last year secured interviews due to alumni in the programs backing them up... even if u dont have any contacts in the program its still worth trying to build contacts if possible... like girl_interrupted suggested... but u have to do it in a polite professional way... ask once and if denied - politely back off... dont be obnoxious and breathe down anyone's neck... this move might give you some visibility and reaffirm ur interest in their program or it might not bring u anything... but i doubt its going to harm you ( if approached properly)..
good luck... this is just what i think... personally i have not tried contacting anyone yet..

It-is-too-soon. nod

arundhutik wrote:
... its very risky approaching PD's or PC's , they have a lot of choice at hands and you dont know whether they will appreciate it or not,..

Risky isn't the appropriate word. Approaching me or the PD can't hurt IF (and it's a big if) the applicant you are suggesting is close to the program critieria. If the person isn't, it's not going to help because we have so many applicants that meet our criteria.

Residents ask me every day about a friend or family member. It can't hurt.

arlete wrote:
It-is-too-soon. nod
Ditto

There are many programs which have not even opened my application yet and they are sending out IV calls. Is there anything I can do to request them to review my application except contacting the Coordinator and director?

Thanks rosetta and BBB. This is exactly what I mean. I believe in not breathing down the other person's neck grin I believe in politely letting them know that I am interested. I have about 10 programs around where I live and I know that I fulfill their criteria. It wouldn't hurt if I let them know that I live close by, can't move AND I like their program as well. As far as I think, wouldn't programs want to hire somebody who lives in their city (well settled with emotional support) than somebody with equal credentials living in California and has a house there !!!

As for contacts: Trust me it can work. I emailed so many of my friends and distant acquaintances, POLITELY asking them if I could ONLY be recommended to the program. About 3 of them replied and promised to forward my CV. Now rest is all my luck and what God has in store for me. At least I won't feel bad when I don't match knowing that I tried my very best.

Bottomline: I believe there is no harm in trying your luck. I think I will start contacting programs around mid to late October.

thanks bbb.
you are right, risky isnt the word , shouldnt have used that...what i mean was dicey.....it could work or it couldnt. but yes as girl interrupted suggeswted i guess it makes sense, if you have the opportunity one should.

I agree with girl^interrupted .I will contact PDs mid -late october till 16 march .wink

Good news is "it is too soon" .enjoy fall .grin

GL everyone.

girl^interrupted wrote:
Thanks rosetta and BBB. This is exactly what I mean. I believe in not breathing down the other person's neck grin I believe in politely letting them know that I am interested. I have about 10 programs around where I live and I know that I fulfill their criteria. It wouldn't hurt if I let them know that I live close by, can't move AND I like their program as well. As far as I think, wouldn't programs want to hire somebody who lives in their city (well settled with emotional support) than somebody with equal credentials living in California and has a house there !!!

As for contacts: Trust me it can work. I emailed so many of my friends and distant acquaintances, POLITELY asking them if I could ONLY be recommended to the program. About 3 of them replied and promised to forward my CV. Now rest is all my luck and what God has in store for me. At least I won't feel bad when I don't match knowing that I tried my very best.

Bottomline: I believe there is no harm in trying your luck. I think I will start contacting programs around mid to late October.

Yes a program will always prefer to send IV's to someone who lives close by. That is for sure.

jehanzebali wrote:

Yes a program will always prefer to send IV's to someone who lives close by. That is for sure.

If your assumption is correct, then why do programs send IV invitations to applicants who live abroad and never been to USA as some applicants wait for CS exam to be taken around same time as their interviews?

Why do programs risk hiring FMGs where there is lot more paper work, a risk of visa denial, plus extra visa fees in case of H1b?

I think you are day dreaming to think you live nearby so you have a shot. Try to focus of other aspects how to improve your application and next game plan if that does not work out.

Hippocampus12 wrote:

If your assumption is correct, then why do programs send IV invitations to applicants who live abroad and never been to USA as some applicants wait for CS exam to be taken around same time as their interviews?

Why do programs risk hiring FMGs where there is lot more paper work, a risk of visa denial, plus extra visa fees in case of H1b?

Because there are more residency positions than all the American graduates combined, hence they recruit IMGs to fill those positions. At least that is my understanding of the matter.

LOL...If we are dreaming then let us dream wink
Please note that I have specifically said that 2 people with the SAME credentials!!!! one living close and another far.
To prove myself correct, the program director at a fellowship program said to me, "Last time when I was choosing candidates, there was this girl who lived in Ohio AND had a house there!! he said her having a house in Ohio made our team skeptical!!!" Anyways, he just wanted to make me feel better but still he said that it IS a "small" plus if you live close by because that might mean that you will rank their program higher....
As for improving my application, I am working 10hrs a day in the lab and trying hard to get things done to publish a paper. I'm digging out contacts, I'm doing the best I can. What more do you think I can do ? sticking out tongue I'm not just sitting there and biting my lips out of frustration, I'm DOING something about it!!!

I think you are day dreaming to think you live nearby so you have a shot. Try to focus of other aspects how to improve your application and next game plan if that does not work out.[/quote]

doomestic wrote:

Because there are more residency positions than all the American graduates combined, hence they recruit IMGs to fill those positions. At least that is my understanding of the matter.

Every one knows that. I am saying program looks for best candidate and that's why they are willing to spend money on visa (like H1b, as there are processing costs either via international office or attorney and processing fees) than taking someone from same city. Many big name universities do take 1 or 2 FMGs each year. Do you think they lack qualified US graduates who are willing to come there?

Two people can never be same but similar.

Oh yeah you're right, "similar credentials" would have been a better term. smiling face but you got the message...

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Uzaq part-time iş
Don't Panic...its still too early!
21 yr old man with panic symptoms
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact