Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

240/99  

• 0/5

Author60 Posts

NBME1-- 4 months before = 211
NBME2 -- 3 months before =217
NBME4 --2 months before = 221
NBME3 ---1 month before = 230
NBME5 ---3 weeks before = 217 (felt so bad)
NBME6 --1 week before = 235 (felt ready)

UW 65% complete, random, all subjects, unused questions
Scoring at the beggining around 40's 50's, and 60's in the middle of my prep
last days 65+ ....seldom 70's.

Study time = Serious last 3 months, but I read kaplan notes taking long breaks 2 or 3 times, some subjects ( biochemistry and physiology). This took me almost a year...waisted time disapproval

Hours per day: 6-8 hrs my first months (9 months before exam I had a part time job), 10-12 hrs last months (2 mo before exam)

Material used
(This is all, you don’t need more, but repeat, everyone is different, married, single, working part time, or full time, so do what you think is good for you)
  • Kaplan notes 2007 + Pharma, Bioch and Behavioral Sc. Videos (I found the others boring)
  • FA 2008 or 2009 (Many times, especially last days)
  • Goljan Audio lectures (while running, listen to Goljan every morning, or while cooking, or while resting lying on the bed, or while driving (be cautious)
  • Goljan HY notes (around 36 pages HY don’t remember, just as a quick review last weeks)
  • Usmleworld online (pay for it)
  • NBME tests (offline all, sorry didn’t have the $to afford them)

What I should do:
  1. Set a date, with a well plan before and of course stick to it…there are many ways to study, everyone is unique, so do what Works for you……
  2. Stick to it stick to it and stick to it..
  3. What I should do is: TO Read Kaplan 1 or 2 times, trying to understand, not memorizing, but understanding, this will took 2 or 3r months, depending your english skills, abilities, how was your perform on those subjects at school and time since you graduated, its different for each person……. some points requires memo, so maybe stop a little bit on those points, but, go ahead, and the most important, if kaplan does not explain it well, google it, or search at wiki, whatever you prefer, but consider kaplan as a table of contents and make notes on kaplan with your own words….. don’t feel frustrated if after your biochemistry readings you don’t know anything… I still remember I read bioch for the first time It tooks me 3 weeks (I’ve just planned doing it in 1 week…..so) And I ended up understanding just 30 or 40%.....but go ahead….you can! What I think my mistake was Reading it without videos, so take your time and understand what Dr. Lionel Raymond says ….you can read first, underline and see the videos after …
  4. After your first kaplan Reading, read FA, and see what’s important (I mean, every Little thing of FA is gold…!!! Really!!) But Read and try to memorize FA, and come back to kaplan if you do not understand what FA says, I disagree with just memorizing FA, because, during test you sometimes are not able to remember a detail, but the context, your previous knowledge and understanding of those topics will guide you to pick the correct answer.
  5. Then if you feel bored after finishing a subject, you can test yourself with wiki test prep on that subject, and go ahead
  6. Read Kaplan notes 2nd time, this time by weeks (depends on subjects, some more some less), and just make synthesis, or summaries, and put marks underlined, circle the topics you saw on FA and correlate them especially with subjects that you feel weak, if all….all!!
  7. Read FA again, and put on it notes from Kaplan when needed, you don’t need to saturate your FA pages, just when you need it…
  8. Once I read from pmapunk66….”ACTIVE LEARNING” and I agree completely….make correlations on your mind, be able to know where you can find special info on your FA, that’s why I say FA is your Bible, but not just memo, but Understanding every single line, and being able to correlate….for example:
    If you read” homocisteine” be able to remember how it correlates with B12 vit, with folic acid, with heart attack implications, some cycles (this is important for last days)
  9. Goljan is a must, because I am the kind of person that remember by association and that’s the way most adults learn, so if you have the chance to listen Goljan doing activities like, shoring, cooking, running, driving, it’s kind of helpful, if you want to remember some topics
    Goljan is the best way, pictures are great too.
  10. Regarding Media: I Used webpath pictures, Goljan audios, HY (36) pages, and Pictures and charts from google when I was unable to understand Kaplan notes.
  11. Test: your best training simulated exam definitively is UsmleWorld….. Subscribe if you can for 2 months and solve the bank completely. Alternate during the day, cos this work only when you’re concentrated, so, better to dedicate an specific amount of time while doing a block, do not let anything disturbs you, and do not freak with aspects you don’t know. I think because this is a training tool, you should seat and solve, and just go and drink water, or go to the bathroom, and then , read explanations, all!!! At the beginning, you will be able to finish just one block, and don’t feel frustrated if you get 30%, 40%, because that happens, but once you feel familiar with UW, you’re gonna increase you confidence and your scores will get better and better.
  12. Additional material can be useful, but if you don’t have time, stick with the magic formula Kaplan notes + videos you consider helpful + FA (many times, memo) + UW one or 2 times reading explanations, (it can take the whole day), but if you get tires, go for a walk, listen Goljan, or just take a break.
  13. Do NBME all!! And there are many discussions about answers on the forum, so try to read and understand why, that’s the only way you can men your mistakes I thin in order of difficulty 1,2,4,3,6 and 5. If you can pay UWSA do them, and prepare for them as for the test.
  14. Stay calm, sometimes desperation, doubts and fear will overcome if you compare wwith others, but leave studies if necessary for a while, pray and consider what you want for your life, and pursue your dreams nod I am sure if you make up your mind to be happy, to succeed with positive thoughts, being energized, you can achieve what you are dreaming.
  15. One mistake I did was (well I did so many): to think that 99 is just for geniuses and that 90+ will be great for me, but just 2 or 3 months before test I thought…..WHY NOT!!!!!

So last 2 months as you can see in my journal were intensive study time…
    One thing: do not spend so much time on forums, just enter 2 or 3 times per day to stay in touch with friends here or discuss questions, or if you set a goal, be honest and put if you achieve it or not, but always think positive, trying to obtain better results next time….don’t feel bad about criticism, as always there are going to be friends and not friendly people, but doesn't matter, that's the way you stay on track, It's your effort, your results, your life so you continue and show those haters peace and love brother!!!! grin
    Another thing I think helped me was to put a picture of your dream in front of your desk, maybe as a desktop theme or print it and paste on the wall, so when you are loosing concentration, look at it and take the courage again : ) (kind of silly but it worked for me)
    I know there are a lot of people having 99/260 + But don’t worry too much, ‘cos between 90 and 99 there are just few points….. Therefore everybody can achieve a 99 And I feel my 240/99 like a 300/99 gringringringrin Lol! Because I had a terrible exam (will post my experience after) and when I saw the screen ….my report saying “PASS” "99” "240", OMG, what a moment!
    smiling face Thank you God, family and friends…. Let’s move ahead nod

Edited by Karime on Mar 16, 2016 - 6:02 PM

congratulation smiling face

Congrats ,Excellent Score ..nod Keep it up.

Thank you for sharing your preparation.

OMG karime! this is such a wonderful post..my fave part is when u said u opened and it said 99...Gosh itmust have been soo amzing..hopefully and godwilling one of these days I will say something like that tooo ...just wanted to wish u all the v.best! With ur post u seem like an amazing person, and U got ur 99 b/c u derserved every bit of it...Again GOOD luck with everything else..
peace bro! wink

PS what did u use for path...???

congrats on a grat score

Dr.yesIcan wrote:

peace bro! wink

PS what did u use for path...???

Yeah yeah yeahs! that's what I say peace bro!

Thank you for saying that.... smiling face

For pathology I read just once, a quick review from kaplan, but I realized Goljan would be the best tool, but, didnt have the time to read the entire book + Slides + Audio. you need to have every concept last weeks/days, so listen to Goljan as I mentioned before

Webpath pics and test gives you an idea, but do not feel confident if you get good scores on webpath, some qs are useful, but, maybe you can overstimate your prep, just do them if you have the time

UW Qs and explanations for sure, are a must, especially 'cos they're distributed by systems, respiratory, renal, etc

Thanks Esraa, AnaAbdullah and Dr.Farkhu smiling face

Karime I don't know how I missed your score report.Last time I was at your journal you were still waiting!

CONGRTULATIONS!!!!

Your wait is well worth it!

Well done Karime, I am so glad for you. Best wishes for the future and prayers foreversmiling face

Don't worry Melu, you continue please, I'm sure you'll get better score keep moving nod

Thanks Jhmd, same here! wish you the best smiling face always

Hello Karim,

one more time, my most warmest congratulation !!!

I have a question for you, how did you transfered the score from the offline form into 3 digit score ? It would help me if you let me know, so I can calculate my score.

I'm very happy for you.

nod

Thank you GG

Well, let me find them, Im not wure they apply for 5 and 6 forms, but, they worked for me.

I found a pdf file here, but don't remember where....

let me find it smiling face

Here you go

https://www.prep4usmle.com/comments.php?id=84063

I noticed in many post experiences, they mentioned taking offline forms with 3 digit, so was always curious how valid is it..... I seen that graph too, but never paid attention to it, as I thought it might not be accurate.

Thanks, that was fast.

well, Idon't know how valid are those charts, but, at least, I felt ready once I calculate the approx correct answers and making the correlation...

Good luck GG

but if you can pay, go ahead nod

Congrats one more time! You are a starnod

Dear Karime,

And Thank You for all the good times smiling face

You know I logged on today in this website feeling hopless but I saw your experince and IT MADE MY day nodnod

Really VERY VERY HAPPY FOR YOU smiling faceCONGRATULATIONSsmiling face

Congratz man.

Why did it take so long for your score to be released?

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Is it >240/308or>240/352 to get 99
My journey to a 240/99
My story : 99/240
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact