Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

head lice  

• 0/5

Author23 Posts

You get a call from the mother of a 5-year-old patient of yours saying that the school nurse called to tell her that her daughter has head lice. The daughter has been scratching her head quite a bit lately, but she thought that it was due to the decreased frequency of shampooing and brushing since she has insisted upon having small braids in her hair.

The mother is concerned about her daughter's health and wants to know what she should do right now because her daughter is still in school. You should advise her that:

A. Head lice are not responsible for the spread of any disease

B. Her daughter should be sent home early from school and treated

C. In addition to infested family members, all members of the household must be treated with a pediculicide

D. Infestations are influenced by length of hair and frequency of shampooing and brushing

E. Since there is widespread resistance to permethrin in the United States, lindane is the preferred method of treatment of head lice

b/w A n C

wil go with A

brainstem wrote:
b/w A n C

wil go with A

hey brainstem, how many miles do you think your jaguar must have ran till date?

A - no, typhus i guess related to that
B- no, it's not emergency
C - no, they should be checked but why to treated if they don't have lice
D -no, i guess it' hygiene, those brides probably not brushed and not frequently washed
E - one left smiling face voting for E

Edited by hero on May 11, 2009 - 10:49 AM

hey drduck, i ran one mile til now as i cleared step1.. hahaha.......

E ??

brainstem wrote:

grin

i think it is E........lice transmitts endemic typhus so A is wrong

B - so she does not spread the disease.

By the way, lice actually prefers to live in a clean head! grin

brainstem wrote:

great job....that one mile looked like 100 to me when i was about to give my step1, wish you all the best for upcoming exam...and to everyone on this forum.

Okay guys the question is really nice....i guess i would take some more time to look how many get the right answer...
its more of a guideline question and informative rather than challenging.

let me know when you need the answer....thanks

C.. close contact with family members would result in infestation of other family members...therfore should treat all members of household.

is B, send her home subito, immediatamente, immediately, right away,in this very momentgrin

is the best thing to do

A-final ans
family don't need to be treated.Its not an emergency.length and cleanliness is immaterial.No resisitance seen.

it is a different kind of "emergency", because in another 2 h while she will still be in the school, another 30 classmates will get lice, so it is something to "emergently" take care of

i think is more important to prevent another 30 kids getting lice than thinking right now about her family members, this will be a future step

drms wrote:
please post the answer drduck, thank u

I am so sorry, but this Q was from NBME, so cant post the answer.....gringringringringrin

The correct answer is A.

This patient most likely has head lice, which is an infestation caused by Pediculus humanus capitis. It is spread by direct contact with hair of infected persons and sometimes by sharing hats, combs, and hairbrushes. It is treated with permethrin and some believe that a second treatment is advisable 7-10 days after the first. While head lice might be a nuisance, it is not responsible for the spread of any disease.

Even though lice is contagious, The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children remain in school for the day and that their parents are notified of their condition and properly treat them before sending them to school the next day. Her daughter should be sent home early from school and treated (choice B) is incorrect.

In addition to infested family members, all members of the household must be treated with a pediculicide (choice C) is incorrect. Close contacts and household members should be examined. Treatment is only necessary if the individual is infested. But the bedmates should be treated prophylactically. This is not the same as scabies, where it is recommended that the entire household be treated prophylactically.

Infestations with head lice are NOT influenced by length of hair and frequency of shampooing and brushing (choice D). Transmission occurs by direct contact whether or not the individual has poor hygiene.

While there is some resistance to permethrin in the United States, widespread resistance is found in other countries, and so permethrin is still one of the preferred treatment methods. Lindane is not the preferred method of treatment of head lice (choice E). Lindane is often used for individuals who have not responded to other therapies.

please, go through the entire explanation, it is really worth reading once....HIGH YIELD.

shocked
thx drduck, different country, different rules, i gotta get used to itsmiling face

usmdee wrote:
shocked
thx drduck, different country, different rules, i gotta get used to itsmiling face

what matters is correct knowledge and high scores..... and now you have it
nodnodnod

Good one, thanks!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

head lice
My son have head lice!
head scarf and residency
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact