Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Swine Flu Virus problem  

• 0/5

Author4 Posts

Hi. I recently got a newsletter from ECFMG. This letter describes the precautionary actions that the ECFMG will take in the event of Swine flu virus pandemic. This includes ceasing all USMLE computer based and CS activities in some or all of the testing regions in the US.

In the letter there was something mentioned about the 2007 Avian Flu Virus and how ECFMG acted upon it. I wonder if there is anyone in the post who experienced this "glitch" and what was the implication then for those who are aiming for that year's match.

I hope this problem can be contained as early as possible, not only for our sake, but also for our friends in the US or in other parts of the world that can be infected with this unknown form of virus.

Hi...

Got the newsletter too. Really scary news... they seem to be considering shutting down the USMLE programme given that the Flu has now been put at stage 5 (imminent pandemic).

Whilst I appreciate their safety concerns I hope they will take into consideration the implications on applications for GME programmes for next year. Worst case scenario probably would see C/S centres closed, resulting in fewer IMGs getting certified in good time. Will the GME programmes then change some of their requirements/criteria for selection?

If by shutting down the USMLE programme they also mean Steps 1 and 2CK, what happens to everyone affected?

I'm personally worried, as I'm scheduled for2CK in a week, and 2CS in late June. Dunno whether prometric will impose a fine on me if the USMLE step 2CK programme is shut down! Dunno whether I should reschedule! I'm probably not going to. Keeping my fingers crossed.

On a lighter note, cant the relevant pharmaceutical companies/health authorities just allow everyone to take zanamivir/oseltamivir for 5 days, and have everyone take a week off and stay at home? Sure, world economy would be seriously dented (then again, how bad can it get considering what we are in already) but humanity might just have a chance of fighting off the pandemic (and winning).

P.S. Public Health was never my forte. Neither was economics!

smiling face

Thanks Gerry5. Like what you said, the ECFMG should consider the implications for us working for this year's match. The process alone is so physically, mentally and financially demanding that a slight change in schedule can serious effect. So lets hope that the smoke clears and just pray that this is just a bad flu season...We are really in such challenging time. We just have to work each day as best as we can my friend aiming for our goal regardless of this imminent problem ahead. God bless to all.

I too have a CS schedule in the latter parts of June.

mikeyvin wrote:
Like what you said, the ECFMG should consider the implications for us working for this year's match. The process alone is so physically, mentally and financially demanding that a slight change in schedule can serious effect.

I believe they reckon saving lives by stopping the disease spread has a somewhat higher priority. The rest of your post shows you have the right attitude. Keep going. No decision has been taken yet. Good luck.

Here's another discussion- https://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/86202/

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

swine flu
SWINE FLU THREAD/PERMIT EXTENSIONS
WHO declares swine flu PANDEMIC.
show Related resources

Swanson's Family Practice Review: A Problem-Oriented Approach

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact