Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Outrageous H1B costs?  

• 0/5

Author24 Posts

Hi. A qn to those of you that are planning to apply for H1B visa. How much is your lawyer charging you? i.e. legal fees? Coz mine's demanding almost $2500!! That's bloody insane! Inclusive of the filing fees plus premium processing, it come to an effin 4 grand!

Is this the normal fees? or is she yanking my chain and taking me for a ride? I'd really appreciate any input on this, coz I'm not sure whether to pay up or not, although time's running out...

Thanks for your replies.

When we filed my husband's extension, the company paid 3000$ and we paid for the premium processing - that was 1000$.

I guess that is the price.

Do wait for more inputs till you pay up.

paheli wrote:
Hi. A qn to those of you that are planning to apply for H1B visa. How much is your lawyer charging you? i.e. legal fees? Coz mine's demanding almost $2500!! That's bloody insane! Inclusive of the filing fees plus premium processing, it come to an effin 4 grand!

Is this the normal fees? or is she yanking my chain and taking me for a ride? I'd really appreciate any input on this, coz I'm not sure whether to pay up or not, although time's running out...

Thanks for your replies.

Nope, that's about normal. Multiply that by each year of residency, by each resident who wants one. That's why many programs do not sponsor this visa.

And did you know that it's written law that you aren't supposed to pay it? Are you looking for a fellowship post residency? Many programs WON'T even offer interviews if they see that you are on an H1b visa.

Welcome to my world.

Thank you so very much, milee and bbb.

Though I don't like the fact that this cost is as expected, I'm grateful that you've eliminated my doubt. Thanks.

Great day to you both.

During my search on visa info, $4000 was par for H1B. As bbb wrote, thats why most programs don't sponsor it. Applicants are NOT SUPPOSED to pay for it. But they do.

Just curious about one bit...

bbb wrote:
Multiply that by each year of residency,

The few residents on H1B I talked to said they don't need visa renewal each year. Its a 3 year thing, unlike J1. They advised me to use this when asking for a H1B. However, i plan to do a fellowship and went for a J1.

bbb wrote:
Welcome to my world.

I am entering the residency world but moving away from your state. Just when i thought i'd bump into you some day. sad

Edited by indidoc1 on Apr 07, 2009 - 10:33 AM

indidoc1 wrote:
The few residents on H1B I talked to said they don't need visa renewal each year. Its a 3 year thing, unlike J1. They advised me to use this when asking for a H1B. However, i plan to do a fellowship and went for a J1.

The H1b visa is requested for the term of residency, however, many officials follow the rule that says that the Hib visa can only be issued for the lenght of the license. Most states that's one year. The last several residents in my program were only approved for the one year (even though we asked for three). So we had to renew it at the $2500 each year for each person. Even our attorney said that once in a while someone slips through for three years, but our budget can't handle the cost. So we stopped taking them.

As for bumping into me, who knows where my travels will take you......or me?nod I have a cruise to Alaska in May.....

No wonder H1B visas are so difficult to come by. All the money and paper-work X 3 !!shocked

I hope the cruise gives you some well-deserved rest. No nightmares about delayed visas and licenses! wink Recharge your batteries before the interns start bothering you about their schedules.

indidoc1 wrote:
wink Recharge your batteries before the interns start bothering you about their schedules.

Too late for that. And the one intern who told the PD that I told them they could have a H1b visa. Good thing that the PD knows me way to well for that one......

What I don't understand is why do you need lawyer for H1b? It is pretty straight forward process.

bbb wrote:

Too late for that. And the one intern who told the PD that I told them they could have a H1b visa. Good thing that the PD knows me way to well for that one......

I did not know you have to handle all this too! Have a great trip to Alaska bbb!

bbb wrote:

And the one intern who told the PD that I told them they could have a H1b visa. Good thing that the PD knows me way to well for that one......

shocked Did he/she honestly think it would work?

Talking about interesting interns, someone sent my PC a J1 application without paying the $200 fee!

I am beginning to appreciate PCs more as i get to know some of them better. They are kinda like "moms of the program", ensuring all the kids stay in line and the program works smoothly.

Edited by indidoc1 on Apr 08, 2009 - 12:49 PM

Got my H1B for three years.It took only 10 days under premium processing.My lawyer charged about the same as paheli-2500.The total bill came to around $4000

Congrats, ladydocz! smiling face Have you had your interview too? If yes, any tips?

bbb, wishing you an awesome trip. Alaska is high up on my list of places to visit before I croak. Maybe you could share your experiences with us! nod

Take all your documents-marksheets,Letters,etc in original wherever possible.Photos,wedding album if married.Dress smart and smile all the time.(Remember CS)Talk about the weather,family anything to break the ice.
If possible,take your family and kids too.get heir paperwork done with yours.Its easier and that makes you look more dependable and safe!!!Don't take anything other than your documents-not even a cell phone gum,medicines or water bottle.Not allowed.Be ready to wait for a long time,in the SUN and RAIN in your best suit.madThey might try to put u down,find fault,etc, but remember they are just trying to do their job Nobody can take away what you stand for so keep smiling -you will do it.G luck

Congrats, ladydocz.

My univ pays for the H1b visa, the candidate has to pay for the premium processing (1000$) only.

Now if i get the state license for an year only, does that mean i need to pay 1000$ (which i so desperately want to save) everyyear for the next three years ?

my state license is for 3 year and so is the h1b.

Thanks for the info, lady. Really helpful. Btw, do we need to take things like bank balance details etc? the way we have to for B1/B2?

Thanks so much.

http://www.h1bconcepts.info/h1b-fees-break-up

very informative site!

Mine was a -change of status(COS) from H4 to H1.I am in the US.But I have gone for many H1 IVs as a spouse.You definitely don't need bank balance etc for H1 visa.That's for student and visitor visas.The reason-H1 is allowed to have 'intent to immigrate,and does not need to show strong ties to return'

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

outrageous
This is outrageous (reg. Score Report)
H1 B costs
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact