Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Observership on J1  

• 0/5

Author6 Posts

I am considering a 3 month observership that requires J1 visa. 2 questions.
1. Once I'm over those 3 months, does the 2 yr. waiver apply ?
2. If I match in 2010 am I forced to continue on a J1, will I till be considered for H1b if offered ?

Please tell me other cons you might think a J1 may have for just doing an observership.

Hi Eduardo,

I'm actually in the US with a J-1 also. I checked with the lawyers at my institution before I got the visa to make sure the 2 year rule did not apply and that I was going to be able to switch to H1.

If you are on a J-1 visa that is NOT for residency and your are NOT going to be paid by the US government or the Mexican government (or any other country), then the 2 year rule does NOT apply.

About changing from J-1 to H1, I was told it was no problem, but I have recently heard rumors of people having trouble with that.

I'm also from Mty, going for 2010 match! ¡Buena suerte!

rodmty wrote:
About changing from J-1 to H1, I was told it was no problem, but I have recently heard rumors of people having trouble with that.

Once you have a J1 visa, you cannot switch to an H1b visa.

What I was told was that once you are on a J-1-Alien Physician visa (for residency training) you cannot change to H1b, but if BEFORE you start your residency you are on a J-1 research visa, or J-1 short term scholar visa, then you are allowed to change.

Easy way to find out if your J1 for observership can be converted to H1 or not... Ask your GME co-ordinator if the 2 yr home residency requirement applies to your case. He/she will know because you wouldn't be the 1st one on this visa there. After you get your visa.. check if "212(e) applies" is written there. If it is, you can't convert it to any other visa. Having a short term J1 visa is no guarranttee that 212(e) won't apply to you. Ask before applying. The DS-2019 also has this information.

I think bbb was referring to the J1 visa for residency.. She is right.

nod

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

reserach J1 to training J1
research on j1 tranferrable to j1 of residency
J1 Research Waiver and H1b vs J1 Clinica
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact