Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Apologies and sincere advice please  

• 0/5

Author14 Posts

Dear Friends,

First of all, please forum moderators, my apologies for posting this in the wrong place. I had asked the same question in the correct place-USCE, but no one responded and views were few. I thought of this place because I am desperate for some advice and the match place is somewhere people are visiting.

I am really trying very very hard to get USCE. Some hospitals are offering observerships. The same programs and other hospitals say that they don't accept observerships as USCE. They want "hands on" experience. Now, there are some hospitals that seem to be offering that----but it needs a lot of contacts, someone within the program should know you. Some people on other forums say that private practitioners do allow 'externships', but again, this is not taken as in patient experience.

Now, there are some services, one of them being IMGprep that seem to link you with teaching hospitals and you can do'externships' meaning real patient contacts. They are damn expensive- 7,000 to 8,000 USD. I have heard that program directors usually don't look at paid externships. 'But how the hell are we to get these externships anyway-------'sorry for my french'

Does anyone on the forum know if these IMGprep guys are for real or are they another money making entity?

Thanks and sorry for the way I sound! This forum has been extremely hopeful to me and I have learnt a lot from it. Please be honest. I know I sound crazy, but all I am trying to do is get ready for september this year.

wasedf

I understand your situation. Sorry i'm not in a position to help you much but please use the search button and look for similar threads. i remember several people regretting using these services in the past.

Just a word about observerships. Get whatever the opportunity you have and once you are in you'll make more contacts and you will see more open doors.

I also believe only a very few IMGs matching each year has the real 'hands on' in patient experience. What many of them have is observerships, private practice externships and volunteer research experience. They are no that difficult to find and will fill in the gap in your CV.

Good luck with your search.

Thank you so much for that advice.

applicant09 wrote:

Just a word about observerships. Get whatever the opportunity you have and once you are in you'll make more contacts and you will see more open doors.

Great advice.nod

please dont waste money on unproven services. They all feed on IMG's need and fear.

Private practice externship is only helpful if you dont find anything else. If the private practioner is well connected...it may help.

As far as paradox of finding "hands on" exeperience before having residency is mighty one. I dont know the right answer. I think people just do the best then can. I know externships are hard to come by in reputable places and you just have to keep working towards it. Important thing is get started.

Hi wasedf,

im sorry to hear that and in kind of been there done that situation. my advice would be find an observership! its better than nothing. and no .........u cant find them the right way! you haveto ask people, all the doctors you know or your friends know (until people start hiding from you) just kidding, but beleiev me you haev to call fifty people before you hear a YES you can come next week to see me!. and even externship in private clinic is a good idea, you can find some contacts there to get ito a hospital or in some cases you can follow the same physician in the hospital settings.

while some programs dont look at observerships favourably yet you get lors that actually get you an interview. once you go for the interview its your personality, scores, and communication skills that get you a spot. my top program told me very honestly that i was an old grad(2005) with just 2 year observership which are not hand on( i actually had a six month observership in this particular program) yeah they kicked me out, but i prematched at a better program with the same observerships, so its you who can make things work for you and believe me you aer not the only oen or last one going through this!

doc-o8 is right. Observership with a doctor in private practice is better than nothing. Doctors in private practive might know doctors in the univ hospitals and might be able to make the connection for you. Also keep in mind that your application is considered a whole package. USCE is only one of them. Hands-on experience is a plus, but not a must for most programs. There are other things you can do to build a connection, such as research.

Thank you so much guys, I was just about to fall into the trap of feeling completely desperate and looking for 'hands on' experience with the wrong crowd.

It is important to be confident with the entire application package and I agree observerships are good. They do expose one to the US system somewhat.

Thanks again

sachida wrote:
please dont waste money on unproven services. They all feed on IMG's need and fear.

Private practice externship is only helpful if you dont find anything else. If the private practioner is well connected...it may help.

As far as paradox of finding "hands on" exeperience before having residency is mighty one. I dont know the right answer. I think people just do the best then can. I know externships are hard to come by in reputable places and you just have to keep working towards it. Important thing is get started.

Bingo! one more thing oberverships are not that bad.. 3 months of it, 2-3 recos ..you should be ready to go competitivenesswise of ur application.

You can also start from research, and later on ask the attending to take you to his/her clinic or ward. It took me 2 months before they took me for observership in the clinic.

But, if you have extra money, I would say that there's no harm to use the paid externship. Just be careful in choosing the company.

Paid externship sucks.

I paid a big buck to do that.totally useless

I started as a volunteer in a research dept in Oregon health and science University.Oregon is notorious for its reluctance towards FMGs. After six months they gave me a job as research assistant, meanwhile I got an observership with a very good Doctor who comes to the lab for clinical research. I got 2 strong recommendation letters and I believe its the reason for couple of interviews that I got this year. I am writing this to support the words of appicant09.

cherryho wrote:
doc-o8 is right. Observership with a doctor in private practice is better than nothing. Doctors in private practive might know doctors in the univ hospitals and might be able to make the connection for you. Also keep in mind that your application is considered a whole package. USCE is only one of them. Hands-on experience is a plus, but not a must for most programs. There are other things you can do to build a connection, such as research.

I agree with cherry

contacts..this is how most get research and usce,

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Please i need honest and sincere advice
please i need some sincere advice
Need sincere advice please
show Related resources

Blueprints in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Human Anatomy and Physiology GC 1132
Kaplan Lecture Notes and Qbank

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact