Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

To get J1 visa within July 2009  

• 0/5

Author6 Posts

Hi Guys,
I got prematched and going to process J1 visa. But timing is very important, so i collected information from different post and going to post here for those who are going to apply for J1, please feel free to discuss.

By the way i am going to send my offer letter and other documents to India to get "statement of need" letter. I am in USA.

Here are the important J1 post by other great guys!

I have added for the benefit of few who are applying for J1 visa.I also have few queries.if anyone of you know about it plz reply to this message.

step-1:Get the Letter of offer either by post or by fax
step-2:Sign the letter of offer and make photocopies of it
step-3:Get the statement of need
STATEMENT OF NEEDsadfor indians)
Essentials:
1.Photocopy of signed letter of offer
2.Covering letter or requisition letter
3.Photocopy of your passport name page
4.written assurance letter..the format is available at the following website
www.indiacgny.org/customimages/Statement-of-Needw.jpg

Addresssad as of 30.03.2006)
Mrs.Anita puri
Undersecretary(international co-operation)
Room no:752-A
Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
Nirman Bhavan
New Delhi 110 011.
phone no: 0(91)11-2306 1945

Approximate duration:takes anywhere between 2 days to a week.

Step-4: To get form DS-2019 from ECFMG..Follow the steps..

step-5: Read the fact sheet and go through the application materials under
ESVP in the webpage www.ecfmg.org

step-5: Take a print out of the application materials from
http://www.ecfmg.org/evsp/evspicln.pdf

step-6: Fill section-A of the application form only.
One clarification: 10.Health and Accident
insurance.Mostly this is sponsored by Hospital.if
not we have to purchase private coverage.How to do
it? Any Inputs will be appreciated.Check with the
program coordinator.

step-7: Prepare the following Documents:
1.Signed Letter of offer
2.Application form for initial sponsorship(with section-A
filled)
3.Statement of need
4.Current C.V (it is preferable to use new one,as it
requires history to date..ERAS cv may not be up to
date)
5.Copy of passport name page
6.200$ administrative fee(check or Money order
payable to 'ECFMG'..or else pay by credit
card..www.ecfmg.org-OASIS-Financial account
summary-Make a payment On-line)
7.Return Airbill for expedited delivery to the TPL(mostly
Program Co-ordinator)
How to get this????..plz add if you know it..
8.if you have any dependent,fill the J-2 dependent visa
sponsorship application

Some Additional Documents which the program
coordinator may ask forsaddo not mail originals)
1.Medical school transcript
2.Medical school diploma
3.Ecfmg certificate
4.Dean's letter(if not included in ERAS file)
5.Two letters of recommendation(if not included in
ERAS file)

step-8: Send the above documents to the TPL(Program
Coordinator) Not to the ECFMG.. Preferably by
Courier as time is the key to get the DS-2019(as it
takes 4-6 weeks).
DHL gives 50% concession for University related
services..takes generally 3-4 days to reach the
program coordinator..

step-9: TPL(Program coordinator) will review the filled
section-A and fill the section-B.It is they who send our
application forms to ECFMG..Hope i'm right..

step-10: After 4-6 weeks,ECFMG will send our DS-2019 form
to TPL(Program Coordinator)..It is for this purpose
we have to send the return airbill so that it can reach
the TPL faster..ECFMG is not authorised to release
this directly to the applicant..

step-11: TPL will send the DS-2019 to us..Request TPL to send
it by courier rather by regular mail..

step- 12: Pay DHS SEVIS FEE..log on to
www.fmjfee.com..complete the electronic form
I-901 and submit a credit card payment of 100$..it
is a must before visa interview..

step-13: Fix an appointment for J-1 visa with the local US
consulate through www.vfs-usa.co.in..

Almost all of us will be eligible for emergency
appointment as we will get our DS- 2019 by may
end.Presently VFS in india is in a transition for 4-6
weeks as far as the emergency appointment is
concerned.Hope this gets alright by may end..if not
write to VFS and to US consulate seeking
emergency appointment.There is no way you can fix
an appointment now itself without having your DS-
2019..So lets not be concerned about the lack of
appointment slots during may and june..

step-14: Prior to confirming a visa interview appointment
online or at any US Visa Application Centre, you
need to pay the following fees and obtain a Visa Fee
Receipt from HDFC Bank.When going to HDFC Bank,
please carry with you a photocopy of the 1st page of
the applicant's passport

The fees payable at HDFC Bank per passport are: -

1.Visa Application Fee (MRV Fee): $100 in Indian Rupee equivalent at consular rate of exchange. Rupee amount at current rate of exchange (Rs. 46) is Rs 4,600/-
This fee is payable in cash or by DD/HDFC Bank cheque favouring “US Embassy - Visa Fees”. DDs issued by cooperative banks are not accepted.

2.VFS’ Service Charge: Rs 276/- (inclusive of Service Tax @ 10% and Education Cess Tax @ 0.2%)
This fee is payable in cash or by DD/HDFC Bank cheque favouring “HDFC Bank a/c VFS”. DDs issued by cooperative banks are not accepted.
IMPORTANT: The fee receipt gets activated 2 working days from date of issue. Do not attempt to take an appointment till then.
The above fees are not refundable. HDFC Bank’s fee receipt can be used to make an appointment within 1 year from date of issue. The receipt is deemed as utilized once the interview has taken place, and cannot be used to make a subsequent appointment.
3. Visa Issuance fee is not required for J-1 visa

step-15: Before appearing for interview ensure the following
documents are with you..
Mandatory Requirements:
1. Valid passport. You are recommended to have passport valid for at least six months beyond your interview date.
2. One photograph as per specification.
3. Original signed form DS-156
4.Original Form DS-157
5.Original form DS-158 if applicable.
6.Valid HDFC Bank visa fee receipt
7.Interview appointment letter

Other Documents:
1. SEVIS generated Form DS-2019 in original, approved and signed by the University authority.
2. Proof of payment of SEVIS Fee Receipt I-901, if applicable.
3. Evidence of financial resources.
4. If you are being funded by an Organization (Indian or American), a letter from the organization explaining what funding will be provided.
5. Original Bachelor degree transcripts or high school diploma along with mark sheets from previous institutions attended.
6.Letter of offer from the Program.

optional:
USMLE evaluation sheets
ECFMG certificate
No objection certificate from the present employer
Travel Itinerary

For Dependents:

1.Passport, visa fee receipt issued by HDFC Bank and interview appointment letter.
2. Individual Form DS-2019 in original approved and signed by the University authority.
3. A copy of the Form DS-2019 of the Principal Applicant.
4. Photocopy of the principal applicant’s valid visa (if applying separately).
5. Original Marriage certificate (for spouse) along with your entire wedding photo album.
6. Original Birth certificate (for each child).
7. Additional financial resources to support the dependents.

step-16: Get Your visa stamped on your Passport..WISH YOU GOOD LUCK..

STEP-17: Plz correct me if i'm wrong and try to answer the
queries if possible..
Add additional info if any..
Thanks for the patient reading..

take care..
regards,

change of status within the us using an i-539 isnt allowed for j1 physicians.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/i-...
i am yet to see anything preventing a trip to canada/mexico though.
i personally am thinking of going home -and will come back God willing
1- get the complete contract from the program
2- get the letter from the program director saying
that they are offering you the position
3- Get the statement of need : Indian embassy in new york does it. simple painless process. call the embassy.. or look up for the form online. they ask just a few details. .with hundreds coming in each year.. its a well oiled machine and nothing to worry about.
4-ECFMG CERTIFICATION PREREQUISITE. International Medical Graduates must hold a valid ECFMG Certificate at the commencement of training. This means that the actual training program start date must be before both the English test and Clinical Skills Assessment ?valid through? dates listed on the ECFMG Certificate.
CONTRACT OR LETTER OF OFFER. The contract or letter of offer must specify start and end dates of the training year, specialty and subspecialty of the training program/pathway, training level, and stipend. The applicant and an appropriate hospital
official must sign the contract or letter of offer. FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM DESCRIPTION (if entering subspecialty training). The fellowship description must follow attached
guidelines.
APPLICATION FORM FOR INITIAL SPONSORSHIP. The applicant must complete and sign Section A. The TPL must review
Section A and complete and sign Section B.
STATEMENT OF NEED (from the central office of the Ministry of Health in the applicant?s country of most recent legal
permanent residence). See the EVSP Reference Guide on the ECFMG website for required format and wording. A certified,
word-for-word English translation must accompany a non-English document.
CURRENT CURRICULUM VITAE (C.V.). The C.V. must detail the applicant?s education and professional history to date.
COPY OF PASSPORT NAME PAGE(S). Submit a copy of the passport name page for the applicant and each dependent.
$200.00 ADMINISTRATIVE FEE (non-refundable). Include USMLE/ECFMG number on a check or money order payable to
ECFMG. For credit card payment, see OASIS on the ECFMG website (www.ecfmg.org).
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION (if applicable)Copies of Form(s) IAP-66 and/or DS-2019 if the applicant has previously held J-1 visa status.
Proof of country of most recent legal permanent residence if this differs from country of citizenship.
Official documentation of funding source, terms, amount, and U.S. dollar equivalent if other than or in addition to hospital
training stipend.
RETURN AIRBILL FOR EXPEDITED DELIVERY TO THE TPL (optional, but recommended). If the application is approved,
ECFMG will issue Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status, to the TPL via first-class U.S. mail.
ECFMG is not authorized to release the Form DS-2019 directly to the applicant. To expedite delivery, it is recommended that a
prepaid/preaddressed courier service airbill be included with the application. Time constraints prevent EVSP staff from addressing
airbills.
TPL == Program Coordinator.
5-Get the approval ,i.e.,DS-2016 wait for it. it will be sent to your Program Coordinator instead of you. she/he will mail them to you. ask her to mail fedex etc instead of regular mail. it takes about a month in total. for the time you mail till you get ds-2019.
6-Go to us consulate in your home country and get the visa stamped OR you can change status here itself. the troubel is once of you go out of country for whatever reason you need the stamp to enter. change of status takes 1-2 months depending on how complex your situation is.
7-come back here and start the residency.

Link : ecfmg.org/evsp/evspicln.pdf

Another view :

the i-539 thing will not work- but the mexican thing might -but the cautions are written in.

this is the best algorithm for anyone to get J1 visa easily---the Dates are approximate-FOR 2006!!!!.
STEP 1 -- march 15th-did u match??? if yes goto next step if no exit and try for postmatch.
STEP 2---march 17th-where did u match? contact program immediately and ask to send contract + application for training liscence by fedex or express mail!!! the fastest way possible.(warning:- if u wait for the program to contact u , they will take their own sweet time.)
STEP 3- march 25th---by this time u shud have posted all the signed contract and application for state liscence by fedex or express mail to hospital. Phone hospital saying that u have sent the material and they shud forward it to ECFMG for getting ur DS2019 by fedex or express mail.
STEP 4--april 1st---by this date u shud have recieved confirmation on ur OASIS that ECFMG has recieved ur material from ur hospital.
STEP 5--- WAIT-during this time fill out your application form I-539 available on USCIS website. this form enables u to change from current status to J1 status while in the USA itself. also attach photocopies of listed materials asked in the form and keep package ready. ask program to mail u as soon as DS2019 comes.
STEP 6- DS2019-AS SOON AS ur program says DS2019 has come ask them to forward it to you as soon as possible by fedex or express. at the same time go to USCIS website and check under processing dates for I 539 for ur center(ur center means either the center under which ur present residential address falls or the center under which ur hospital falls-whichever is faster)also please ask ur program director to include a small letter saying that she thinks that u r a good candidate and she wants u in the program so please give J1 as soon as possible.this letter shud be addressed to the concerned official, USCIS and the address of ur center as given in ur I539 form.
STEP 7- DECISION TO SEND NOT- OR I 539 for example - if the hospital recieves DS2019 on April 15th!!! the current processing dates for I 539 for change to J1 visa in ur center should be -----NOT MORE THAN TWO MONTHS i.e. Feb 15th or later(NOT EARLIER!!!!)
example 2- if u get DS 2019 on april 25th - date shud be feb 25th.
Q) Is ur centers processing dates within this time frame?
If yes--- immediately put your DS2019 in your pre-arranged package for I -539 form and post it by FedEx or express with delivery notification. HOPE FOR THE BEST AND WAIT FOR UR NEW I-94.GOOD LUCK AND EXIT THIS LOGORITHM.
if no--- then u shud not send the DS2019 along with ur i-539 form. we cannot take the risk of losing the seat as many many program directors will not wait for ur J1 after start of orientation as many green card holders are waiting for ur seat!!!! believe me - one of my friends from gujrat lost a seat like that.GOTO next step.
STEP 8 - WERE U ALWAYS IN STATUS IN usA , HAVE A CURRENT VISA(NOT EXPIRED) AND I 20 AND I 94???
yes------ book consulate date in mexico border post- thru VARS.com- only 15 dollars, contact mr.Victor garcia thru his website for transportation across the border and mexican entry permit--- only 200$, book greyhound bus from wichita to border city and back--- only 200$, hotel stay 2 days- 150 dollars, food 100$.
total expenditure ------- under 700 dollars only. BEST OF LUCK-100% u will get J1 visa easily in mexico n come back within same evening thru mr.victor garcias bus.
NO!!!!!!!----sorry u got to go to next step.if u still go to mexico u will get stuck n spend a lot of days and money in mexico.
STEP 9--- book flight tickets to ur home country- immediately. get a visa appointment at same time thru net. keep appointment as early as possible or ull be in trouble- for example if they say that they need one more document before they can issue visa!!! if u have an early appointmnet u can get another appointmnet and still be on time!!!! if u get an appointment for example on june 15th and u get the same problem then ull misss ur residency!!!!
Go to India, tell visa officer the whole truth, explain that u want to study and become a doctor, tell that after j 1 expires u will not stay or try to stay back in usa but come back to home country and do good work here.
Best of luck--- I got my visa in step 9!!!!! Some people get it easily while sitting here in step 7 itself!!!! But thats luck!!!
SOME MORE POINTS-- CHECK CHECK CHECK UR FORMS AGAIN- UNFILLED ITEMS OR CONFUSING ITEMS IN FORM MEANS USUALLY THE FORMS WILL BE RETURNED BACK!!!! AND EVEN WHEN UR PROCESSING DATES ARE IN TIME UR PROCESSING WILL BE DELAYED!!!
ALSO SINCE U WILL SEND UR ORIGINAL I -94 AND DS2019 WITH UR I 539 FORM--- THERE IS NO WAY U CAN USE STEP 8 OR 9!!!!! ONCE U HAVE SENT UR i539---- U R STUCK WITH WAITING FR IT TO B PROCESSED!!!!!!SO THINK 100 TIMES BEFORE SENDING FORM I 539--- IS THE PROCESSING DATES OF UR CENTER FAVORABLE????
ONE PERSON WENT TO MEXICO EVEN AFTER BEING OUT OF STATUS!!!! HE WAS DENIED AND HAD TO SPEND 10,000 DOLLARS BEFORE HE CUD MANAGE TO GO HOME!!!!!! PLEASE REMEMBER THAT HOME COUNTRY IS SAFEST AFTER STEP 7.

Letter of need / Statement of need is issued by the Ministry of health and family welfare, New Delhi. The office is located in Nirman Bhavan.
Google Ministry of Health, India and click on the International Student section. Obtain the list of documents needed from the site. Also make use of the phone number on the website. Ask for Mr. Narendra Kumar/ Sumitraji. They are very helpful.

For the return airbilll:
Just fill them regular domestic mailing from Fedex, fill the sender (ECFMG) and recipient (TPL) name and address. And on the lower right (the billing information), check the 3rd party and put your FedEx account number there.

SEVIS FEE is $180, not $100

I have prematched and I need J1 visa sponsard by ECFMG. It requires a letter of need from the ministry of health of my home country which is EGYPT. Currently I;m in USA. Does any body know how can I get this letter? Whom Should I contact to get it ?

@eagle08
Ask your friend or famil to come to the department of health in your capital city.
Bring your letter of request, contract, and sample of the statement of need.
SHould be fine.

I finally got my Statement of need letter (SON) from India. It took approximately 30 days. One more information, the health department mails SON from India to USA address. I am currently in USA and the time frame i said is SON from India to USA. The service is free and we don't need to enclose any self addressed envelope.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

didnt get a slot b/c all slots filled within a day
Get Visa J1 not going back to home Count
J1 visa vs. H1B visa
show Related resources

U.S. Visa News
Blog on How to Get Psych Residency

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact