Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

do programs know where we apply?  

• 0/5

Author26 Posts

do programs somehow know where we interview and which fields we apply to?

No. Not unless you accidently put your Radiology personal statement to your IM program. Or your LOR writer says something about your love of OB/GYN.

No, they do not know but if your personal statement is generic, this will most likely mean that you applied to more than one specialty...

No they dont come to know...mistake in the waived lors can be another way where programs come to know that he/she has applied to another speciality..letter writer may sometimes mention....happened with me unfortunately sad

After the match, what information is available to the programs?
Can they know HOW MANY programs we ranked?
Can they know WHAT # rank we gave their program (either if we did or did not match into their program?)

DrVirgo wrote:
After the match, what information is available to the programs?
Can they know HOW MANY programs we ranked?
Can they know WHAT # rank we gave their program (either if we did or did not match into their program?)

They don't get that information. Its confidential.

ok, but I think the programs DO know which programs everyone in their rank order list got into...
As I recall I think someone mentioned this here on the board previously.
Is this correct?

DrVirgo wrote:
ok, but I think the programs DO know which programs everyone in their rank order list got into...
As I recall I think someone mentioned this here on the board previously.
Is this correct?

Programs will know where you end up if you are on my list. I don't know where we are ranked, how many programs you ranked.

bbb is that true? So if I will match at my number 1 choice, my number 10 will know that (if number 10 ranked me) ??????? This is weird. We should know too what the programs we ranked got. Weird. Interesting. I wonder why this information is available for the programs. Interesting...smiling face

i think you did not understand the point clearly. just like we dont know where the program ranked us, the program can not know about our ranking. how ever as i understand from bbb post. the program does know that we matched and where we matched. ( how ever they do not know about our ROL )

that is right, the program has no idea about our ROL....but they do know where we matched if we are on their rank list...

In that case it would only be fair to provide us with the names of applicants who matched to the programs we ranked... OK, just kidding; that information would be pretty much useless to us, but it seems a bit unfair that the programs get this information about us, and we don't get anything about them after the match.

I agree, the programs shouldn't be allowed to know where every applicant on their rank list ends up, it especially looks bad for those who apply to 2 or more specialities...even though some will say it doesn't matter what the PD's think after we match, there is still no reason for NRMP to release that information to the PD's....

hey inkspot, no no, I understood, thanks. I just exemplified using random numbers. I understood that the programs know where we end up. I do not agree with that completely. They shouldn't know. But in the end I don't think it matters. What is important is that each one of us ends up at the top/most wanted program on the list! That would be fantastic! GL everybody!

inkspot wrote:
i think you did not understand the point clearly. just like we dont know where the program ranked us, the program can not know about our ranking. how ever as i understand from bbb post. the program does know that we matched and where we matched. ( how ever they do not know about our ROL )

Correct. I will know that if I rank you #1, and you rank me #2, but match at another hospital that you ranked them #1. But who cares. As a program, we certainly don't care....After all at that point we can't do anything about it.

bbb wrote:

Correct. I will know that if I rank you #1, and you rank me #2, but match at another hospital that you ranked them #1. But who cares. As a program, we certainly don't care....After all at that point we can't do anything about it.

how would you know that the candidate ranked you #2?

I would know that you didn't rank me #1 because I passed over your name and you matched somewhere else, but I don't really know that you ranked me #2, it could have been #12.

IF I match to the number 3 program on my list......then will that program come to know that I ranked them at number 3 ??..........

sorry if im repeating the question but im still confused.........confused

valentino wrote:
IF I match to the number 3 program on my list......then will that program come to know that I ranked them at number 3 ??..........

sorry if im repeating the question but im still confused.........confused

No, they won't, no program will know anything other than where you matched...

no if the prorgam rank you #1 ( or within the number of slots that are available to them ) and you do not match at that hospital and match some where else. its obvious that you ranked them #2 or below. ( and certainly not #1)

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Do we treat partner for chlamydia and do we
When we know we are ready?
why do we need to know this?
show Related resources

Free Selection criteria of Residency Programs
how to do all things from usmle to match

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact