Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

In 30 Seconds Answer # 10  

• 0/5

Author10 Posts

A 22-year-old man is being evaluated for infertility. Physical examination finds a tall young adult male who has gynecomastia and a female distribution of hair.
Examination of the scrotum finds small, firm testes, and a testicular biopsy reveals atrophic sclerotic tubules with hyperplasia of the interstitial Leydig cells. Chromosomal analysis finds the abnormal karyotype 47,XXY. Which one of the listed sets of serum lab values is most likely to be present in this patient?

d..... not sure in 30 secs

d ?

D

D took lil longer time guess 10-15 sec rolling eyes

d,done fm uw also,so 5 sec.....is that cheating or learning as i had done q earlier.....?

Edited by dr_puma on Nov 06, 2008 - 12:48 PM

could you pplz tell me Why Estradiol increased if Answer is D??

Attached Files:
EndoQ.jpg (135 KB, 19 downloads)
attachment

I was thinking of C

Karime wrote:
d..... not sure in 30 secs

nodnod

The answer is D.

A 47,XXY karyotype is the classic karyotype for Klinefelter syndrome, a disorder that is associated with the presence of two or more X chromosomes and one or more Y chromosomes. In most cases the extra X chromosome is inherited from the mother, and therefore this disorder is associated with increased maternal age. Klinefelter syndrome is an important cause of Hypogonadism in men. Patients have small, firm, atrophic testes, often associated with a micro penis. Histologic sections of the testes reveal atrophy of the tubules, Leydig cell hyperplasia, and lack of sperm production.

Therefore, individuals with Klinefelter syndrome are infertile (Klinefelter syndrome is the principle cause of male infertility). Because of the testicular atrophy, patients have decreased levels of testosterone, which leads to increased blood levels of FSH and LH. Estradiol levels are also increased, but the cause of this increase is unknown.

The combination of decreased testosterone and increased estradiol leads to eunuchoidism, lack of secondary male characteristics, and a female distribution of hair. Patients tend to be tall due to delayed fusion of the epiphysis that results from a lack of testosterone. Patients also develop a high voice and gynecomastia, and they have an increased incidence of breast cancer. Patients have a slight decrease in IQ, but they are not severely mentally retarded.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

In 30 Seconds Answer # 1
In 30 Seconds Answer # 2
In 30 Seconds Answer # 3
show Related resources

Live 10 weeks STEP I prep course
ICSA Live 10 weeks STEP I course

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact