Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

MG vs Lambert Eaton  

• 0/5

Author21 Posts

i just had this Q pt comes in with diplopia cant chew gum etc. The CT shows ant mediastinal mass what does she have ?

A) MG
B) Eaton Lambert syn

I want to see what u guys pick because i picked the wrong answer and i dnt get it.

Also which one is associated with Hep B and which one is ass/ w / Hep C

Membranoproliferative GN -
Mebranous GN -

alirizvi wrote:
Also which one is associated with Hep B and which one is ass/ w / Hep C

Membranoproliferative GN -
Mebranous GN -

Type 1 MPGN = HCV

Diffuse membranous glomerulopathy = HBV

Don't know if you have goljan or not........but if you do, check out p. 412

Patient has myasthenia gravis.

Lambert eaton

No i dnt have goljan but i did listen to his audio before and he said that. The only thing confusing was that when i took kaplan they gave us this paper with all nephritic and nephrotic stuff and dr barone said MPGN with hep B.. and i was just reviewing my notes and i had 2 different things with MPGN so i wasnt sure but maybe i heard wrong at kaplan. thnx !!

Yea the answer is Myasthenia gravis because it is associated with thymomas
BUT u know what i found confusing why can it not be lambert eaton because small cell carcinoma of lungs will can show up as mediastinal mass ?

What plays more of a important role on OAF ?
A) IL 1
B) IL 6

Edited by alirizvi on Sep 28, 2008 - 5:44 AM

Small cell carcinoma of lung would be more a hilar mass in my opinion.

yeah i think so too.....small cell CA won't be mediastinal mass as much

I figured the hilum was by mediastinum so on xray can be called mediastinual mass. But this said CT so maybe thats why ? i m kinda mad that i got that wrong now =P

its IL-1 ..which is also called osteoclast activating factor and is released from osteoblasts when PTH hooks into it ...thus maintaining calcium levels in the blood.....

i thought IL-6 was secreted by osteoblasts to stimulate osteoclast formation

IL 1 alpha activates NFK- B in osteoclast
IL 1 beta is one that acts like Osteoclast Activating Factor but it stimulates clast indirectly, by stimulating the BLAST to secrete osteoprotegerin and activating the osteoclast to inc calcium.

Thats why i thought IL 6 had a greated role because i think it works directly or so they said at kaplan.

well i know this from GOLJAN that IL-1 is OAF (osteoclast activating factor) which is released from osteoblast when PTH hooks into it to maintain calcium levels in the blood....and on the other hand yeah you are right IL-6 does almost the same as well .....

well wht is it ali???confused

Yea i hope u are right silver so i am right indirectly, u can be the blast and ill be the clast
shocked

Match; i really dnt know the answer thats why i asked and yea goljan did say that thats why i am more confused.

yeah was thinking on those lines as well.......that since it has a direct role then it would play "more of an important role", as you're asking.

gotta check up on this to be sure.

ok what i think is that when you talk about OAF (osteoclast activating factor) ...then you will never see this written in regards to IL-6 ...it does stimulates osteclasts but im not sure if it does thru some factor ....on the other hand IL-1 does it thru OAF ...they both do the same job but thru different mechanisms probably .....

just a guess..will check though confused

ali,

is this from a UW/Qbank question or your own question?

lol smiling face....ali it better be from some good source .....as i hate scratching my head for ''poorly written q's'' as quoted by dr. GOLJAN grin !!

no its my own question, i did immuno yesterday so i was just wondering.
This is what i think, like if a patient with prostate cancer comes with lytic mass in the veterbral bones than its due to IL 6 because IL 6 is also acute phase reactant and i think that has sumthin to do with cancer lol..

And if the patient has xeroderma pigmentosa and cant go out and stuff than there will be 2ndary inc in path activating IL 1 but not 6.

I really dnt know i am just making up what makes sense to me lol..

so far what i've found is that OAF has an amino acid sequence homology with IL-1beta, therefore IL1 is considered to be a potent OAF--- if this is what you're referring to when you say 'plays more of an important role on OAF'.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-sO3BtDaAhIC&...

(Scroll to the end of the page that appears----p.463.....the paragraph that starts with "The role of IL1 in destructive arthritis......)

Yea it said that IL 1 actiavtes Osteoblast to produce M-CSF which is same as osteoprotegerin that i mentioned earlier because they cause precursor to of osteoclast to differentiate into osteoclast or multinucleated giant cells via fusion.

I read about IL 6 on the link u provided also and it said same with Rhematoid arthritis and that IL 1 activates IL 6 . So i guess IL 1 is more important because u need that to activate 6.

and also thnx for ur time into googling etc, appreciate it.

Okay i think time for a new questions, i m doing micro now so if i see something interesting i will ask =)

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

myasthenia gravis or Eaton-Lambert syn?
eaton lambert synd
Premier vs Princeton vs Pass Programe vs
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact