Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Step2ck done/It wasn't too difficult  

• 0/5

Author69 Posts

Hi guys,
I just took the test a few hours ago and I thought to contribute with my exam experience...
First of all I really went more prepared for this exam than for step 1 in terms of sleeping extremely good the days before and relaxing before the test. I took 2 days off before the test and slept at least 7 hours two nights before he,he

Took NBME form 2 one week before and got 670 which helped me to have some confidence before the test but it also made me lazy, because i didn't want to study anymore...I thought "Ok, I guess i will pass". I just reviewed OBGYN which is always my weak area and whatever topic I wanted but now i have some regrets I wish I had memorized childhood milestones, rinne/Weber test and some other last minutes brush up.

The Test Center was open at 7:30 am so I was the first to be there but oh surprise I forgot to print out the permit that has the CIN number and just took the prometric confirmation number and it wasn't enough. The receptionist sent me to a public internet place to print that form out duhhhhhh. Finally She let me in...

I did two blocks in a roll, they were easy like the USMLE CD(I think i got some questions of the CD...) or NBME form 1 then took a break of 10 minutes to drink some gatorade and eat some snaks.

Two block more and it became more difficult at the point that I had to mark at least 40% of the questions oh well i had extra 6 to 8 minutes to go over the marked questions again and changed some answers. Break time again this time for 15 minutes to eat half of my chicken sandwich and more gatorade.

Fifth block: I was sleepy because I didn't wait enough time after luch. Finished the block barely with 3 minutes left and I had to go for a break again. I am not sure if this block was difficult or I just was sleepy he,he. No memories about this block. Went out and try to move my legs and wake up, had more gatorade and close my eyes and think about a good score...

15 minutes after, went for the sixth and seventh block which were of steady difficulty but nothing out of this world, I couldn't tell which were the experimental questions. I had 2 audio-visual questions that BTW my earphones didn't work well so i didn't waste time and answer them based on the question stem. I expected more difficult questions and it was worrysome because everyone says the harder the questions the better the exam is going but they didn't show up. I think after 5000 questions I practiced, they were familiar to me...

Took the last break and couldn't believe it was getting over. The last block was easy again like the first one I realized that the questions marked were less.
Done, had 10 minutes of unused break time.

Finally I could say that the difficulty level is as NBME form 2 and 1(specially the first and last block) and UW is the best qbank by far. Time will tell me about my final mark but I know for sure that i am not going to fail...

Good luck everyone and plan well before the test, take the NBMEs (it will give you some mental peace)relax and sleep well the days before the big day and the test will be really enjoyable.

Hi Marcus2009, I am sure you will pass. Hard work always pays off. Tell me what other qbank you used besides UW?

MARKUS!!! recovering are we??? it's party time (tho i was just tired after mine, and went home, watched some basketball games, had a few drnks and sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!! )

glad to hear it was ok, ur gonna kill it!! best o luc sir!! glad to see ur alive as well! grin

Thanks nica28.
Kaplan for 1 month. Average score of 78% in a random, timed mode. Made notes just of the wrong answers.

Hey hottie99, cheers, yeah it is party time. I can not believe it that I am not tired anymore. The night just starts he,he
Thanks you so much for constant support. I am betting on you too for step 1 so you better study hard huh he,he

You are so gonna pass!!! nod

hey marcus can you write more about the content you were tested on?

what was the distribution like ? i have heard they are asking a lot of pediatrics now a days, and that surgery is very little. Also how were the psychiatry questions ? many audio/ videos ? what kind?

All the best for the score. I am sure you will do well smiling face

Edited by motorola on Apr 22, 2008 - 5:41 AM. : name error

Thanks Arlete, you are always very sweet.

Motorola: Thanks, the distribution was basically internal medicine 60% then it was equally distributed in OBGYN, PEDS, Psyquiatry and Surgery. I think you are right I don't remember too many questions in surgery but a bunch in OGBYN(maybe because I don't like too much this subject, seemed so many questions for me he,he)

The psyquiatry questions were like UW mainly focus on ethics, the questions stem were kind of long but not really hard. By doing kaplan Qbank I learnt to read the last paragraph first then jump to the beginning. It saves a lot of time.

I got just 2 audio/videos, one about mitral regurgitation in a Marfan patient, easy to answer just by reading the question stem, I don't remember the other one...maybe because i didn't play the media he,he

i know you're gonna a get a super great score smiling face

thanks markus. u will get a nice score for sure

congrats marcus,
thanks for your advice. i'm sure you'll get an excellent score!

oh Marcus , I know Im not as prepared as you but still , left 2 days to my exam , it was soooooo good to read a happy experience !
so , congrats nod

Thanks grechita, motorola, janka and feyza.
@Feyza: Try ro relax the days before, there is no sense in cramming in the very last minute so just sleep very good. Don't take a nap the day before and keep your mind bussy in a different activity. Don't forget your permit with your CIN number, some energetic beverage, snaks and a light lunch. Try to rest at least 15 minutes after your lunch so you wont be sleepy afterwards. Good luck and show them that we are doctors...

So you are between 240-260 good score

congrats on finishing the exam, good luckfor your score

Congrats markus. This experience already looks like a 99. when will ou post your exam prep details?

Pls tell me what sources you used for medicine.

@GOGETA: I wish my friend but I will be happy with whatever decent score and most importantly is that I really enjoyed the exam. Nothing can take that from me. They are part of those great days you always remember. It shouldn't be a torture he,he.
@srita: Thanks. Is your avatar your picture?
@sfk: I really don't want to count my chickens before they are hatched...let's wait until the result comes out. Basically I studied from kaplan notes and DVDs, kaplan Qbank, Qbook, UW, partially FA and secrets and NBME form 1 and 2. Good luck to you too!

markus:

I thought the test was very tiring, but I enjoyed doing it, too. It was fair for me, lots of important concepts (in my opinion) were required from me.

Hi markus2009
How long did you take to prepare ? All the best for a fantastic score!

@docdoc9: Probably 4 or 5 months but with many interruptions and jobs in between.
Material used:
-kaplan notes and DVDs
-Some chapters of secrets and FA
-emedicine for things not covered by kaplan and answer questions in forums.
Questions banks:
-Mainly UW and NBMEs.
-Secondly kaplan Qbank and Qbook

Good luck to you too and pray for me to get a good score.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

PASS :) wasn't easy.
237/98 done done done!
Case study-too difficult
show Related resources

Digitaldoc's blog - USMLEtoMD
Pharmacology: Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews
Biochemistry: Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact