Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

17 alpha hydroxylase deficiency  

• 0/5

Author12 Posts

wht happens to aldosterone level?

increase mineralcorticoids

sex hormones and cotisol decrease,phenotypic female no maturation

thts wht i though but BSS says decreased aldosterone so was confirming,thnx smiling face

actually I think it would decrease, or be normal, no cortisol, hence, more 11 Hydroxycorty will accumulate, but aldo will decrease because 11-hydroxycorty has mineralo effect, nence renin will go down, hence, no AngII, and less Aldo.

In 17-OH deficiency, mineralocorticoids are elevated, but glucocorticoids (cortisol) and sex hormones are depressed.

aldosterone would be elevated, and there would be hypertension in a girl with ambiguous genitalia (i think it should be a girl, since there are no androgens)

you are forgetting about 11-hydroxycortisole, made by 21-b-hydroxylase, it has weak meneralo effect, but in large quantities, it will depress renin, and Aldo production.

Hes right, I looked it up. They do have salt retention and hypertension, but from elevated DOC, which actually suppresses aldosterone. My apologies. I was looking at clinical presentation with checking my biochem facts.

My pleasure :-)

thnx smiling face

My mistake -Looking at Robert Dunns lecture (kaplan)aldosterone decreased , DOC increased and supposedly DOC works as a weak mineralcorticoid. (Thats why I do not like to depend on first aid too much.)

"mjl1717" wrote:
My mistake -Looking at Robert Dunns lecture (kaplan)aldosterone decreased , DOC increased and supposedly DOC works as a weak mineralcorticoid. (Thats why I do not like to depend on first aid too much.)

In defense of FA, they do say increased mineralocorticoids and I think we should take from this that the child will be hypertensive due to salt retention. The extra is nice, but the clinical picture stays the same no matter how you look at it.

"mdwannabe" wrote:
you are forgetting about 11-hydroxycortisole, made by 21-b-hydroxylase, it has weak meneralo effect, but in large quantities, it will depress renin, and Aldo production.

btw, you shouldnt have any 11-deoxycortisol, since you cant get to the 17-OH progesterone pathway. You may be thinking of 11-doexycorticosterone?

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

17 HYDROXYLASE DEFICIENCY
11 Hydroxylase deficiency
11-hydroxylase deficiency
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact