Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

On J1 changing jobs, time gap inbetween?  

• 0/5

Author7 Posts

Hi,

The problem I have is connected to changing jobs. I'm on J1 research visa currently (without 2 yr requirement) that's valid till end of 2008. I work as a Medical Doctor in hospital A and found another job at hospital B which starts on July 1st 2008and ends on June 30th 2009.

I am worried about the transfer. How fast is it and can I have some time of my own between changing the jobs, or do I have to switch from job A to B directly? Could my transfer in some way be jeopardized and what should I pay attention to while talking to hospital B? What should I request from them, is there something that I'd have to emphasize when I talk to them (here I'm specially thinking of this 2 year requirement that I am not subject to)

Would it be smart to request from the Hospital B to file for H1 for me if they are able and willing to?
Thanks!
crazyserb

Check ECFMG for the most up to date information about a gap between J1 visas.

ECFMG would have the most current and correct information. I realize it's a PITA to call them, but would be worth being on hold for hours....

bbb wrote:
Check ECFMG for the most up to date information about a gap between J1 visas.

ECFMG would have the most current and correct information. I realize it's a PITA to call them, but would be worth being on hold for hours....

Oh boy! I keep getting this message when I try to go to ECFMG:

ecfmg.org expired on 03/02/2008 and is pending renewal or deletion

what does that mean!?

Maybe they are having server problems???

If you are on J-1 research visa, your visa most probably would be sponsored through Dept of State directly and not through ECFMG... I did not understand the connection between working at a hospital as medical doctor and being on J-1 research visa.. If it is a transfer of J-1 research visa it may only take between 3-6 weeks. Now if your current J-1 visa is exempt from 2 yr HRR and you can ask for/are eligible for h-1 visa, especially if the new J-1 position has 2 yr hrr. Let me know more details.

plastic_surgery wrote:
If you are on J-1 research visa, your visa most probably would be sponsored through Dept of State directly and not through ECFMG... I did not understand the connection between working at a hospital as medical doctor and being on J-1 research visa.. If it is a transfer of J-1 research visa it may only take between 3-6 weeks. Now if your current J-1 visa is exempt from 2 yr HRR and you can ask for/are eligible for h-1 visa, especially if the new J-1 position has 2 yr hrr. Let me know more details.

thanks plastic_surgery!
I think you're right, it is sponsored through DS... I'm not working as a doctor, but I AM an MD working as a research scientist on J1 research visa.

I will have to ask the hospital B where I'm going about this. I didn't know that they might change my visa into something other than J1 without 2yr HR! Can they really? I thought that I'm staying without the 2yr requi. no matter where I move, to which program.
Basically, the doctor that offered me this hospital B research position said that he can request from his department to make any visa for me that he wants. Do you think I should ask for H1? Wouldn't it be tricky to stay on H1 through the whole residency (if I ever get one) since H1 doeans't last for more then, how long, 4 years, I guess?
Let me know what you think...
About the transfer: How much before the beginning of my new position (July 1st) should I have new DS 2019 ready? How much upfront my current ROfficer will be contacted by hospital B, 3-6 weekes as you said? You gave me a few tips earlier this year, if you remember... wink
Cheers and thanks for any advice you might have

Hi everyone,

here's what I found out about this topic after talking to my ROfficer at the Department: basically, there can be no gap in between the jobs!!! I still can't believe this, so I'm gonna investigate more...

Then, my department needs to sign a document called "release form" or "transfer-out" form, and agree that I'm leaving them, cause I'm leaving the job before the visa they made for me expired. RO said that it never till now happened that someone had problems with this (my worse nightmare!)

If I can get H-1B from the new job instead of J1, then this release form is not necessary. The only thing with H-1B is that it takes 4 months to get it! and J1 transfer is shorter (she didn't say how long it takes-according to plastic_sugr around month or so)

Hope this helps someone, also... I'll post more as I get more info. Please, all comments and suggestions are welcome!!! smiling face

cheers!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

What is the Difference Between Hospitalist Jobs and Family Practice Jobs
CS INBETWEEN CK PREPARATION??????
J1 waiver jobs for cardiologist
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact