Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

 J2 to H1B  

Post Reply  
  • 0/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Author6 Posts

I am holding J2 visa and my status is also subjected to 2 years rule HRR.
My question is
1. Is it possible to convert from J2 to H1B visa? At first, I thought I couldn't. However, after interviewing with program director at one hospital, he told me that I could change from J2 to H1B visa and he is willing to offer me H1b if I clear step 3 before the Match.
Dose anyone have any suggestions?


You can convert from J-2 to H-1 if your spouse (J-1 holder) attains waiver to 2 yr HRR. I think it will take considerable time (in months) to get final approval for waiver.


Thank you plastic _surgery.
According to your answer, I can not convert from J2 to H1B visa by myself even though the program director will sponsor H1B visa for me. It depends on my primary visa( My husband's visa).
That's important to me because if I am not eligible to get it, I don't have to take step 3 in hurry by this month.


You got it right. You can not get waiver on your own.


I really appreciate your advice. May I have one more question?
Currently, I am working as a research fellow by using EAD under J2 status...My husband Visa is J1 clinical. Unfortunately, his boss is not able to sponsor him a visa for next year..Would it be possible to change my status from J2 to either J1 research or J1 clinical, in case my boss is willing to offer me a Visa or I can match into any residency program?


J-2 to J-1 is a possibility but the rule of 2 yr HR will apply to you as much as to your husband. It would be better if you can ask this on an immigration forum like

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

J2 EAD vs H1b
J2 to H1B?
J1 to J2 conversion, J1 or H1B
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact