Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

J1 TRANSFER between the programs  

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with transferring from one program (or university) to another one while being on J1??

My situation: I have J1 valid till 2009 and I want to transfer now to another lab with very similar program, same field of medicine. Could my current employer stop me in any way if the new University is willing to ask my current University to take me into their program?
I have been even talking to some people from the immigration, but they have no experience in this field in particular. What they told me basically is that, by the law, I need to have a release form signed by the current "sponsor" which is on my DS 2019 my University.
Please help!!!! I found a better program, but am afraid to try and go for it, cause I am scared I'll get in trouble with visa if my current professor won't release me from his lab...

He can not stop you from transferring. If this is a research J-1, the new lab will prepare new DS 2019 for transfer with current DS information. The transfer for research J-1 is a 2-4 week process. I don't think you should be worried about it too much...

plastic_surgery wrote:
He can not stop you from transferring. If this is a research J-1, the new lab will prepare new DS 2019 for transfer with current DS information. The transfer for research J-1 is a 2-4 week process. I don't think you should be worried about it too much...

Really?!?! WOW, thanks, this sounds great!!!

Yes, it is J1 research and I don't have a 2 year requirement. The people from the new lab told me exactly what you said: that in case I am the one of the applicants they decide to offer a position, they will have new DS 2019 for me...

I'm just scared cause he always says "you can't leave my lab, if you are not happy you can only go back to your home country!" That's why I though he knows something I don't, and was frightened that if I say, I'm leaving in 2 weeks, he'd cancel my J1!!

If he cancels your J-1 he has to give you 30 day notice,,, and you have 30 days from the date of end of your J-1 status to leave the country.. so do not worry for that part either..

Thanks plastic_surgery!
Where do you think I can get all the details regarding my visa and transfer details? I was thinking of talking to my immigration officer at the University, but she's constantly in touch with my department, so I'm not so sure about the whole thing staying confidential.
Maybe a lawyer??? Would they know all the details regarding my options and down sides of J1 visa?
Oh, it's so frustrating when you don't know who to talk to!! sad

You should find all the details on the web... search Dept of State J1 visa site... Also some good universities have all this info on their web too.. try UCSD.edu

hey thanks plastic surgery!

I am actually going for an interview at a different city in a few days... Do you have any suggestions what should I specifically ask or request from this new department regarding the transfer?
Maybe ask how much time the making of the new DS 2019 will take? Or any other useful suggestions?
Thanks so much... I'll let you know how it went..
p.s. I just failed Step 2 sad so this interview is like a dream, a self-esteem booster, a new chance!!! wish me luck smiling face

plastic_surgery wrote:
You should find all the details on the web... search Dept of State J1 visa site... Also sotme good universities have all this info on their web too.. try UCSD.edu

Hey "plastic",

I have some news wink Check out my new thread regarding the J1 transfer I was talking about here earlier this year...

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

how to transfer to J1 in US
difference between J1 or H1B visa for research
Gene transfer
show Related resources

Free Selection criteria of Residency Programs

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact