Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

cardiac patho 1  

• 0/5

Author12 Posts

10 years after receiving an aortic valve bioprosthesis becoz infective endocarditis,a 44 y.o. XX is most likely to suffer which of the following complications?

a) Paravalvular leak

b) Stenosis

c) Hemoptysis

d) Embolization

e) Myocardial infarction

B

Arlete was a cardiologist at her home country , so sure she knows better...

Because I have no idea ! sad

I don't know everything... Also forgot some...

But thanks for trusting! smiling face

its STENOSIS

the earliest complication is paravalvular leak that occurs due to infection in first yeear...

second in row is embolization and dehisence/ structural failure in first two years

stenosis after 10 years in bioprosthesis is more common

stenosis

bioprosthetic valves r less durable and often deterioate with in 10-15 yrs while mechanical do not so she will have a valve failure and there will be eventual calcification or thrombus formation thus she will have stenosis

B

arlete wrote:
B

nod nod

Bioprostheses are subject to wear and taer. The leaflets may calcify, resulting in stenosis or they may perforate or tear, leading to insuficiency.

Thrombosis with embolization is lessened by anticoagulant therapy.

Paravalvular leaks are rare complications.

i agree about stenosis for bioprothesis, but i have a qs, if its metal prothesis, would it have been a leak problem?

For an acute onset, yes, a leak problem could happen for both types of prothesis, mainly due to defective surgical technique. After 10 years, the tissues around the valve are already chronically altered in a very firm cicatricial formation, there's no reason to leak.

On a chronic case like this, problems related with coagulation (or lack of proper coagulation) are way more common, so embolization, stroke, GI bleeding would be your best bets.

Thnx arlete, appreciate itsmiling face

smiling face You're welcome.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Cardiac patho 2
Cardiac patho 3
cardiac patho 4
show Related resources

Univeristy of Utah, Review of Cardiac Physiology
Heart Sounds and Cardiac Arrhythmias

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact