Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Best and worst places from AMG's view  

• 0/5

Author15 Posts

Saw it From other forum, and I think it's helpful when it comes to ranking:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we present the 10 Best and 10 Worst locations for medical schools in the United States and Canada as rated by our members.

Rank 10 Best Score
1 University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine 9.7
2 Weill Medical College at Cornell University 9.43
3 Medical University of South Carolina College of Medicine 9.41
4 New York University School of Medicine 9.4
5 University of Washington School of Medicine 9.4
6 McGill University Faculty of Medicine 9.38
7 Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine 9.38
8 George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences 9.28
9 University of California San Francisco School of Medicine 9.17
10 University of California San Diego School of Medicine 9.16

Rank 10 Worst Score
1 Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine 4.08
2 University of North Dakota School of Medicine 4.27
3 University of South Dakota School of Medicine 4.42
4 Texas Tech University 4.91
5 University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine 4.92
6 Southern Illinois University School of Medicine 4.97
7 University of Connecticut School of Medicine 5.03
8 Albany Medical College 5.1
9 Texas A & M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine 5.13
10 McMaster University School of Medicine

We generated this list using data collected from our members throughout the US and Canada. The ranking criteria are straightforward. Students are simply asked to rate each school on a scale of 1-10. We do not use any weighting system to manipulate the results.

Although the results make for interesting conversation, the list is completely unscientific and the results are often bizarre. These results are presented simply for entertainment value and should not be used to make career or application decisions.

U Conn is on the worst ten list.. shocked

Nice list if Location is the most important thing at the time of ranking programs....
Hawaii is at the top...ohhhhhh.. must be nice.... right mph?

Yes, it is. The best place ever. Vacation every day, even if u r on call.

I would definitely rank it very high if I cant go to Baltimore or New Haven.

nice, I would round in shorts and sunglasses

mph, hawaii is very very expensive, and pay is not that high. Honolulu is one of the costliest city to live.

Island has to import everything (almost), a gallon of milk cost six bucks. I was there for a conference and had a chance to talk to few residents. They were happy with the program but few with family had hard time meeting ends. Especially if your spouse is not in hospitality industry.

i wonder, how medical school rank affect residency program rank?

sachida wrote:
mph, hawaii is very very expensive, and pay is not that high. Honolulu is one of the costliest city to live.

Island has to import everything (almost), a gallon of milk cost six bucks. I was there for a conference and had a chance to talk to few residents. They were happy with the program but few with family had hard time meeting ends. Especially if your spouse is not in hospitality industry.

I have not had the pleasure of going there... but I heard the same as the post quoted above... very expensive place!!!
many residents work two jobs to make ends meet!
(when i say residents i mean people who live there... not residents within the hospital)nod

babydoc4usmle wrote:

there's a ranking which I can not disclose of course (copyright) from Usnews ...where specialties like internal medicine at diff. schools are ranked by deans, and senior faculty

there are not many differences among school rankings (among top 10s research schools) and internal medicine rankings. These programs usually stay among the top 25 : harvard, hopkins, ucsf, Upenn, duke, U washington, WashU, Michigan, Yale, Columbia, Stanford, UTSW, Vanderbilt, Cornell, Mayo, Alabama, UCLA,UCSD, Pittsburgh, Emory, Mount Sinai, URochester, North carolina.

It changes if best hospitals are considered...and community hospitals like Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic, famous more for subspecialty divisions rank highly

If there was a ranking according to quality of life (income/cost of living?) I'm sure hawaii/honolulu, new york, san francisco, Boston, etc would rank lower...since it is much more expensive to live in those cities...

Edited by prueba on Nov 26, 2007 - 10:40 AM

coming back down to earth, and from an IMG point of view GO/RUN wherever you can !!!

prueba wrote:
coming back down to earth, and from an IMG point of view GO/RUN wherever you can !!!

yeh that is bottom line GO/RUN wherever u can
prueba u really said wot i wanted to say
prueba my hero

u are really forum hero prueba :

Oh ! thanks criticaldoc...of course I would prefer to be your friend.... hero sounds nice, though.. hahaha (just kidding)

i would prefer to be ur friend too. But at present i can just hope that u get one of the program u wanna be , i have read ur iv at PA. well being honest during my residency in IM at home country i had lots of friends and they all were my heroes, they all were masters in their field , one of them is ginko. That chemistry of getting in a good freindship relationship with a hero does work for me. gringringringrin

babydoc4usmle wrote:

Read my post again. It's not how good the medical school is. It's the "location" ranking. Generally speaking, university hospital is of the same location as the med school. If u happen to have quite a few university calls, this probably help decide. On the other hand, if u r looking into community ones, this probably is worthless.

Or u can take it for fun grin

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Who's an IMG and who's AMG on this forum
THE BEST AND THE WORST THING YOU DI
bbb why cant' AMG's
show Related resources

Digitaldoc's blog - USMLEtoMD
Pharmacology: Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews
Blueprints in Obstetrics and Gynecology

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact