Research oriented: yes / no / ?

Prematch offers?:

Visa sponsored?:

What I liked the most?:

What should be improved?:

Rate experience (0-10):

Any other relevant info:

Conclusion:

i havent started my IVs yet so someone else can please start posting!

Program Name: Children's hospital michigan, Wayne State University,detroit

Date of Interview: november

Where did u stay, nearest hotel, travel etc: arranged for by the program...took a cab from the airport--$40 (Detroit being the heart of automotive industry, dont expect mass transit!)

Level of "stress" (0-10): 3

How many interviewers: 3

How many applicants: 5 peds 2 med peds

Tour included visits to: picu, nicu, floors, ER (one of the largest peds ER in US, I was told) cafeteriasmiling face

Questions asked: what u expect from the program; why u applied here; are u planning for fellowship; are u interested in research

Happy residents: yes / no / ? : very happy

Atmosphere: friendly, people seemed to be working hard but enjoying it

City, how is living there?: cheap, some areas are rough but most resident live in the suburbs which is very lovely i believe...there is an International house walking distance from the hospital where many new residents stay for initial mnths b4 they decide where they want to shift into....seemed like there was fun stuff to do

Research oriented: yes / no / ? research is mandatory and they really push to get stuff published...they finance u to AAp conference if u present original research
Prematch offers?: they do offer but didnt offer me (i was consoled by someone telling me that it was offered in Jan after they had interviewed most of their candidates)

Visa sponsored?: H1B and J1

What I liked the most?: awesome faculty...the new editor in the latest nelson edition is the chairman there! 27 intern program...max continuos duty 24 hrs (not the usual 30 because if ur on call u need to come at 11 am)...no dirth of pathology....solid fellowship programs...genuine research available, in terms of mentors, facilities, grants and atmosphere, very diverse patient and resident population

What should be improved?: firstly the website, has very scanty information! detroit might not be the coolest place to live in....no mass transit (i dont drivesad!)...but then the later 2 isnt really the programs responsibility

Rate experience (0-10): 9

Any other relevant info: they offer a choice of the subspeciality faculty u want to interview with....any gaps in resume are asked to be explained....there was some talk about fights between the wayne state univ and DMC....but we were assured that firstly its resolved and secondly DMC is one of the oldest, largest and busiest prog in US so will never close down....no board fails were reported...no resident was kicked out, those that dropped out did so because of personal reasons like family...they have this really cool international elective where u are sponsered to go to few choice countries and spend a mnth there...i thought it sounded really global and cool!

Conclusion: it should be obvious by now...loved it!!

Program Name: Maimonides

Date of Interview: nov 1st week

Where did u stay, nearest hotel, travel etc: Avenue plaza ,recommended by Program.Quite costly, 175$ per night

Level of "stress" (0-10): 3

How many interviewers:2

How many applicants: 25, half of them were osteopathic

Tour included visits to: The hospital was being reconstructed. Cudnt get to see much. A small ICU, nursery.

Questions asked: General questions about CV, interest in peds.

Happy residents: yes / no / ? : Seemed happy. Most of them were already residing in that area.

Atmosphere: Situated in an orthodox jewish community. Typical NYC

City, how is living there?: I dont personally like the city.

Research oriented: yes / no / ? No

Prematch offers?: I think they do give pre match.

Visa sponsored?: Yup H1

What I liked the most?: Lot of vacation and Holidays, 4weeks + 11 days holidays

What should be improved?: some research needed

Rate experience (0-10):6

Any other relevant info:residents have to shuttle between 3 hospitals for rotation.Program seemed to small with 11 bedded NICU.

Conclusion: somewhat good,

thank u so much u two. m waiting to start my interviews so that i can start writing here !

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

08/08/08 at Philadelphia
pediatric neurology and pediatric psychiatry
New York IM IV experiences '08-'09
show Related resources

First Aid for the Pediatric Boards
Current Pediatric Diagnosis & Treatment

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact