Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Changing Programs after 1st Year  

• 0/5

Author11 Posts

Hello all!
I am applying to pediatrics with just step 1 89 and CS pass. So far i only have 3 IV s and i am taking my STEP 2 in december. I am not very excited about the places where i am interviewing and i was wondering how hard it was to reapply after the first year to a better program.
Thankswink

Harder than getting a first year spot.....

Concentrate on getting a good step2 score first as u cant go anywhere if u r not ECFMG certified.

Also, a good step2 score helps go for a better program later.

So if by december i dont feel like i will get the score i want for step 2 do you think it s better to push the date to january even if that means i might not get in this year or take it anyway and get a lower score. I am a little frustrated because i know i can do so much better!sad

But BBB,
if i want to change the branch and start anew,from internship,am i at an advantage if i have been in a residency programme?
How do PCs grade such applicants?

Lainie wrote:
So if by december i dont feel like i will get the score i want for step 2 do you think it s better to push the date to january even if that means i might not get in this year or take it anyway and get a lower score. I am a little frustrated because i know i can do so much better!sad

It's really a dilemma, as u probably already know that England changed laws recently, so u can expect a flood of MRCP coming into this country next yr, and it surely will become even more competitive than this already blowed year.

As there r so many factors to reason like graduation year, how good your credentials are, I wouldnt make suggestion arbitrarily. But, make sure u have a at least not bad step2 score. Otherwise, it will become a massacre.

smal wrote:
But BBB,
if i want to change the branch and start anew,from internship,am i at an advantage if i have been in a residency programme?
How do PCs grade such applicants?

Program directors will want to know why you want to start from scratch. Because I want a stronger program isn't a good answer.

Thank you all very much for your replies!!!
How are my chances to do a fellowship if i do my residency at a community based hospital?

Because that is my main concern.

Community hospitals range widely.
Track their history of fellowship placement, and u ll know.

Thank you sooo very much mph and BBB! My head is much clearer now

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Changing Specialities after 1st yr
To bbb, re. changing PS after already invited
Changing specialty next year
show Related resources

Free Selection criteria of Residency Programs

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact