Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Is home country 1yr residency required?  

• 0/5

Author4 Posts

Does an IMG need to complete the one year internship that is offered in southeast asian countries for the MBBS degree in order to be eligible for residency in the USA? One of my cousins is doing her final year of MBBS now and was asking me whether she needs to finish the internship there first before applying for the match.

Your input will be highly appreciated.

Since you are using the term MBBS, I assume the country you are referring to is India. If it is, the answer is yes. In India, you are not yet officially a graduate unless you complete the one year internship and are not eligible for a diploma. Therefore, the one year internship is of course required to get a diploma and pursue any residency position in the United States.

Actually I was referring to Bangladesh. I am also a graduate from Bangladesh but involved in research here in the US. We obtain our MBBS certificate after passing the exam and then get Licensure from the Medical and Dental Council after completing the 1-year internship. The licensure allows us to practice in Bangladesh. That is why I was asking the question, whether internship would be required because we already get our certificates after passing the final MBBS exam and the licensure in not valid here. Any follow-up comment is welcome.

On the same note...

Do programs really prefer IMGs with some residency training from their home country?
I was thinking of doing Psychiatry residency from my country for about a year before I apply for the match.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Will a residency in home country help application
residency in home country
Doing residency in home country
show Related resources

Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Home Study Program
Free Selection criteria of Residency Programs
Iserson's Getting into a Residency

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact