Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

what i did and failed  

• 0/5

Tags:    
Author12 Posts

I have been thinking and thinking over my failure in atlanta, this year in august and I have found only one thing ....RUSH.
I finished the exam very confident that it was a piece of cake......wrong!!!!!.I asked all the pertinent questions, I did the right brief physical, but the SPs didn't go for it;they gave me bad marks because I did it too quickly and went out too early.I got out of the rooms 4-5 minutes in advance , being convinced that I did well.
Bottom line: they expect from you to be nice, friendly and make a real human bond, NOT to be a diagnosis machine.

on what part did u fail? somebody told me a rule: KISSS stands for keep it short, simple and slow

there is no way you can do an entire pt history, a problem specific focused hx, a proper review of systems, a P.E. and deliver your diagnosis, and needed workup, and answer the pt's questions in 5 min.

You may have asked the specific questions, but you didn't ask ALL the questions. When I had my exam I found as I was going through the ROS questions, then all of a sudden the SP would mention some completely related/unrelated symptom that they didn't disclose in their initial complaint.

Also during a focused PE .. you still had to do all the basics, listen to heart, lung, palp abdomen, mini-mental, cage, etc. And you can't just place the steth on the pt for 2 sec and move on, expecting to be checked off for listening to heart and lungs.

also be sure to ask about pt's personal life .. ie family, work, sex. etc?

sorry you failed, I wish you better luck on the next one.

g'luck

EDIT: and don't forget to empathize with the pt. As soon as they tell what the problem is they're having ... you say "I'm so sorry to hear that" ... if they say "I also have trouble with ..." during the exam, stop and say "I can understand how difficult this can be for you" ... etc, etc, yack, yack, .. basically don't forget to show compassion.

Edited by Doc750 on Oct 30, 2007 - 10:49 AM

sorry to hear that.

You left exam room early, that's the problem because you did not spend your time for counseling and closure, important part of the exam.

Spend at least 2 minute for closure

for muxia--I failed on data gathering from ICE(PN was borderline) and on CIS(I think they are related--data gathering results from asking the proper questions and performing the physical correctly, CIS results from counseling and closure).
for doc 750-you're right on the physical thing-I did it quickly and hoped it was enough, but it wasn't;as for the qustions,I asked PAMHUGHFOSS every time, but very quickly.It was wrong;I put myself in the SP's shoes, and I realized I wouldn't have wanted to be treated like that.
Overall, it was something I would never forget;my advice for all who failed in the first place-PATIENT IS FOCUS-KISSS!!!smiling facesmiling face
Thanks

i did finish a little early with a couple of cases, and i felt like i missed something. so i would ask them if they had any questions or if they had any other concerns. some would mention something else. or they would pause and say no that was it. and then i would smile and say something please feel free to call the office if you remember or if you have any questions.

good luck.

rexutu wrote:
I have been thinking and thinking over my failure in atlanta, this year in august and I have found only one thing ....RUSH.
I finished the exam very confident that it was a piece of cake......wrong!!!!!.I asked all the pertinent questions, I did the right brief physical, but the SPs didn't go for it;they gave me bad marks because I did it too quickly and went out too early.I got out of the rooms 4-5 minutes in advance , being convinced that I did well.
Bottom line: they expect from you to be nice, friendly and make a real human bond, NOT to be a diagnosis machine.

hi rexutu i think the same thin happened wit me too i finished my cases 5 min early but i don know wat ll i improve next time

hi i think the same thing happened to me too i finished every case 5 or 10 min early but i really don now wat to improve i think they made it a bit hard this time i know so many ppl who don even know english passed it few months ago

shaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headwinkwinkwinkwinkwinkwinksmiling facesmiling facesmiling facenodnodnodnodnodraised eyebrowraised eyebrowraised eyebrowraised eyebrowraised eyebrowsticking out tonguesticking out tonguesticking out tonguesticking out tonguesticking out tonguenodnodmadmadmadsadsadsadsadsadrolling eyesrolling eyesrolling eyesrolling eyesrolling eyesrolling eyesdisapprovaldisapprovaldisapprovaldisapprovaldisapprovaldisapprovaldisapprovaldisapprovaldisapprovalshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshaking headshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedshockedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfusedconfused

great tips

TOuGH TO FOLLOW IN REAL EXAM WITHOUT TONS OF PRACTICE WITH LIVE FELLOW DRS......im sure of that

Thanks for this post rexutu

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

I did it! I did it! I did it!
"did" s and "did not"s, opinions?
failed step 2, did everything, need advice
show Related resources

Blueprints in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Human Anatomy and Physiology GC 1132
Kaplan Lecture Notes and Qbank

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact