Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Memorizing key information in short term memory  

• 0/5

Author5 Posts

We all read mixture of nice and ordinary books but how many of us could actually retain all that information in their short term memory? I know Long term memory also helps us passing the exam but there is a lot of information which need to be stored in STMemory for a quick recall.
Can't wrap up biggy books in last 2 weeks. Are you highlighting key points of your own material or prefer to use another resource like Crush the Boards/ Advanced Support?
how you guys are doing that?
thanks for your help

Hi, you are right it's very difficult memorize everything. Unfortunately, I didn't pass on my first attempt, so now i'm taking more time and making conspects together (call me crazy ) from CMDT, FA, B&W, blue prients in medicine becouse i don't want to lose more time to look inside of different books(and it's more confusing) and, meanwhile, making highlight points inside my papers. This only for medicine (GI, endocr, blood, CNS, pulmo, kidney/urology, muscle/scelet.), for cardiology, i'm gonna use Harisson's conspects(do it myself with FA), For me its more easy to use already highlighted conspects. For psych I want to use- Behavioral science, peds, OB/GYN- bluepr. Surgery-Kaplan. I think this would be helpful in last two weeks with crush the board. Can someone has better idea?

WOW! it sounds like a lot of material. I have been told that they ask important things mostly. There will always be things on the exam which will bogg us down.
I have used basically FA + Blue Prints + Kaplan. Can't use another stranger like crush the boards for last weeks to avoid mixing up of my already made volatile cocepts...hehehe. (this will perhaps provide "Crush the Boards" an oppertunity to crush my concepts and visual memory instead of crushing the boards)... :P
I am leaning towards doing a good MCQ book like "Mock Exam" or "Kaplan Q book" twice along with the Advance life support (it is very short and could be digested in 2 days) and will just take the exam. I looked at NMS mcq's but they are not for me... ( I ran away from them fastest I can).
I overall applied the similiar strategies to step 1 and passed it with 86 which is not an ideal score for many but is there anything ideal in life??????
What you all have to say my dear fellows? Any bright, lightening idea which may sparkle my eyes and brighten up a day of many of us?????
thanks

i personally feel that " gaining knowledge" and "studying for an exam" are two different things, for steps or for any test, its humanly not possible to remember everything in our textbooks, so its wise to understand the 'trend' of the exam and prepare accordindly, mypersonal experience from step 1 is initially when u study get ur facts straighten out, but as u near ur exam do only whats commonly tested, for that i found first aid very helpful. So thats what my strategy is, for my first read, i took as much time as it was taking to make things clear, now that i am nearing my exam i am only concentrating on things commonly tested on the exam, i get my guidelines from first aid step2 and by solving mcq's which help reinforce the concepts. It worked for step1 so hopefully it will work for step2 as well. Other thing i find helpful is if u spend some time making ur concepts clear rather than rote reading, the info tends to stay longer in ur grey matter!!! 8) Good luck

Thats what i'm trying to do. :|

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

My target - short term preps for step 1
J1 (short term scholor ) to J1 Residency
J1 (short term scholor ) to J1 Residency
show Related resources

Key Physiology Equations

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact