Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Rapid review--Cancer  

• 0/5

Author57 Posts

THANK YOU Ammelie and MyTime!!!!! Good work cool So basically, those viruses "sensitize liver cells to carciogenic factors". I shall never forget this smiling face

anmelie wrote:
Other parasites we came up with-

Schistosoma haematobium- bladder CA
Clonorchis sinensis- hepatobiliary CA, cholangicarcinoma

Anyone else come up with anything?

Yes, in RR Path, p146, Opisthorcis viverrini - cholangiocaricnoma of the bile ducts

anmelie wrote:
Other parasites we came up with-

Schistosoma haematobium- bladder CA
Clonorchis sinensis- hepatobiliary CA, cholangicarcinoma

Anyone else come up with anything?

My baby!!!!!!!!!! :MWAH: tnx.

What serum marker(s) can we find with hepatocellular carcinoma?

Raised Alpha feto protiens.

which is the only carcinoma in the body that can be prevented by a vaccine. * cheeky question I know*

Yes, Med smiling face What else raises AFP besides hepatocellular carcinoma? What can lower it?

medocuk wrote:
Raised Alpha feto protiens.

which is the only carcinoma in the body that can be prevented by a vaccine. * cheeky question I know*

Not so fast there, Med...we can now prevent squamous cell carcinoma of cervix with a vaccine, Gardisil (sp?) nod

Any embryonal cell tumor can cause the rise in Alpha feto protiens..eg Yolk sac tumor of the testes.

It is decreased in Down's syndrome.

Oh and I didnt know! Thanks..

edie wrote:
What serum marker(s) can we find with hepatocellular carcinoma?

hepatitis vaccine=> hepatocellular carcinoma

Thanks for the reinforcement all of you!!
by the way, AFP increased also in neural tube defects

And H. pylori is the only bacteria associated with cancer. smiling face

gringringrin nod

Thanks for all the input, docs, very helpful nod Let's keep going! I need to go off, but will leave these, kinda easy, maybe. Anyone can answer. Pls leave a q if you want to nod

1. Which lung cancer is not associated with smoking?
2. Which lung cancer is associated with Lambert-Eaton syndrome?
3. Which of the pneumoconioses are associated with lung cancer?
4. What hormone(s) elevated in a lung cancer paraneoplastic syndrome?

edie wrote:
Thanks for all the input, docs, very helpful nod Let's keep going! I need to go off, but will leave these, kinda easy, maybe. Anyone can answer. Pls leave a q if you want to nod

1. Which lung cancer is not associated with smoking?
2. Which lung cancer is associated with Lambert-Eaton syndrome?
3. Which of the pneumoconioses are associated with lung cancer?
4. What hormone(s) elevated in a lung cancer paraneoplastic syndrome?

1. Which lung cancer is not associated with smoking? Adenocarcinoma and Bronchial Carcinoid
2. Which lung cancer is associated with Lambert-Eaton syndrome? Small Cell Lung Ca
3. Which of the pneumoconioses are associated with lung cancer? All Except Silicosis
4. What hormone(s) elevated in a lung cancer paraneoplastic syndrome? ADH and /or ACTH

1.Adeno can be these days NNL......so stick to carcinoid!!!!!!!!!!! Remember the filters and all! sticking out tongue

2.nod

3. Silicosis possibility of Tb.

4.And PTHr in Squamous cell Ca.

wow great show,i missed it all,but very well put up questions and answers..overall a great discussion love this kindda stuff!!thanks evryone!!!smiling face

wow, this is good work, guys!!nod i hope to know enough to join soon. i actually need a pencil and paper to jot down some stuff!!!

absolutely love it!! thanks, everyone!nod

anmelie wrote:
Integration of HBV DNA into the host genome occurs at early steps of clonal tumour expansion, and it has been shown to induce direct insertional mutagenesis of diverse cancer-related genes in a number of cases.

nodknow the diff betn HBV and HCV=[I got q bank Q wrong..so.]

The precise mechanism by which HCV causes HCC is not known. Unlike the hepatitis B virus (HBV), HCV is not a DNA virus and does not become integrated within the genome of hepatocytes. It is more likely that HCC occurs against a background of inflammation and regeneration, associated with liver injury due to chronic hepatitis. Most, but not all, cases of HCV-related HCC occur in the presence of cirrhosis, suggesting that it is the underlying liver disease per se that is the risk factor for HCC rather than HCV infection. (4) The prevailing hypothesis has been that some cirrhotic nodules which grow larger than others (referred to as adenomatous hyperplasia) were the precursor for HCC. Recently, however, it has been suggested that foci of transformed hepatocytes may arise in between cirrhotic nodules and grow to become adenomatous hyperplasia and, eventually, HCC.
http://hepatitis-c.de/carcinom.htm

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

WHat's the difference: Review & Rapid Review?
Q BANK vs (RAPID REVIEW +ROBBINS PATHOLOGY REVIEW)
diff b/w goljan path review and new rapid review?
show Related resources

Mayo Clinic Internal Medicine Review
Falcon Physicians Review
Rapid Review Pathology

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact