Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

HELP!!! failed step 1 3x, dismissed from  

• 0/5

Author24 Posts

I have taken step 1 3 times...and i was sure i passed this las time..but i ended up with 181/73. I now findout that my school is dismissing me. can anyone pls tell me what schools offer transfers to ppl in my situation. im dyin here..ive come to far..wasted too much time, effort, money and energy to give up now...thank you

Dude, sorry to be so harsh, but it's reality-check time.

If you failed THREE times, what makes you think that you can get it together for the FOURTH time ? Stop now before you hurt yourself, or your patients.

thanks for your encouragement, but I WILL PASS NEXT TIME. and im so close, which is why I know I can pass next time.

Please Rusted Fox ,you should never say like that to anybody.Everybody is in a different situation in life at different times.If you could pass exams it doesnot mean that others cannot.

I would suggest to give hope to people instaed of taking it away.Think if you would be in his shoes!!!!

Please pmkin keep your hopes high nod you will pass ,since so many struggled and passed.

keep working and God will open doors for you.If you need any guidance in studies ,send me a PM.

Good luck for your studies.Also I did send you a message about the medical schools.

Listen. There's a greater good to serve here; the good of the populous, and the good of the individual's psyche. If you failed THREE times, there's no reason that you'll pass on the FOURTH time. I'm trying to save pmkin TIME and MONEY, as well as saving the health of the patients that bad doctors (and there are already a LOT of them here in the United States) treat.

Time to grow up bud, if I failed the exam the twice, I would have stopped right there.

This is my last post on this topic. If you're not mature enough to accept what you've done, then you're not mature enough to become a doctor.

gosh, this guy is really something!! first time around, there was a small part of me that felt perhaps he had misphrased his post, and been misunderstood on a large scale. but there can be no misunderstanding when telling someone to quit!!! it's really easy to talk when talking down to someone.

no one sees the future. pmkin may turn out to be a better doc than any of us here. who are we to dismiss conclusively his/her potential?

pmkin, you may decide to give in here. you may decide to go on. whatever it is,you have to give it some deep thought, and i'm sure you've realized it already. but, by no means do you have to give in to the spirit-dampening words of someone who tells you to let go, under the pretense of helping you and your patients!!

perhaps if you post some details about yourself i.e. ims/img/ams/amg, your year of study[if still a student], your field of interest, your chances of getting usce, there will be people to help you here.

good luck from all of us. you can do what you set to heart and mind to do.

Okay, THIS will be my last post.

I took the exam ONCE, and it cost me OVER 1000 USD. 700 for the test fee, 50 in gasoline to and from the testing site, 100 for a hotel room next to the testing site, and 50 USD in food/miscellaneous expenses. Couple that with the 100+ USD spent on books, Q-banks, etc in preparation.

If I had to spend 1000+ USD to take the exam not AGAIN, but for a FOURTH time ? I'd take the hint. PLUS, you have to pass STEP 2 CS, STEP 2 CK, and STEP 3.... and then your final state licensing exams if applicable.
Can you afford to take THOSE three or four times each at 1000 USD each time ? Good sense is knowing when to save yourself time and money. Giving you a hug isn't good advice here.

This country has enough bad doctors. We don't need any more.

Last post. Period.

EDIT: I passed the first time. If I didn't, I would have considered another line of work, because the STEP 1 exam is designed to let you know whether you can make it as a doc or not. Think about it.

Edited by RustedFox on Aug 20, 2007 - 7:21 PM

Nothing to add or remove to paheli's post.

pmkin, you can find cases here of people who passed only in his/her 4th or 5th attempt. But of course you have to try a new approach to the exam (if you repeat what you've done so far, there is a great chance you won't succeed).

Good luck!

Don't quit pmkin! You can do it! Don't listen to only one person here who's telling you to quit. He does not know you. Plus he's just thinking of money that can be lost in retaking the test. If you failed the exam 3x, that does not mean you'll be a bad doctor.
I can see that this guy quit because of his attitude. one that does not make him a good doctor. So good for him, he deserves to quit.
But for you.. study harder next time.

All I can say is that it is sad how harsh sometimes people can be.shaking head

Please be considerate if you want to be on this forumnod

Ppl, you are missing the point! The OP got booted from their school. Without graduating, MLEs are a moot point. Kindly give suggestions on where the OP can continue their education.

hedieh wrote:
Jackofknives wrote:

Physicians should be critical thinkers, so you should have your own judgement about who is believable and who is not, if you don’t think the posts are credible, overlook it, simple as that. If you are not a critical thinker, for the sake of your patients and for science, please become one.

Jackofknives said this very well. Rustedfox is a critical thinker, sometimes we mistake between arrogance and self-confinde. For being a good physician, we should be self-confident (as Rustedfox ) and critical thinkers ( as Jackofknives says). It is better for us to know about our mistakes to be able to correct them, so it is better not to be offended by a colleague critics, it is better to learn something of it.nod

Rustedfox, I know I have lots of grammatical and spelling mistakes, English is not my first language, I try to correct it.wink

Goodluck for all.

After reading these posts of Rustedfox,mad I changed my mind and I take what I said back.

Rustedfox, you are not the only person that got 99 on the exam. With this behavior you annoy people, but you will be annoyed more than everyone at last.

That's a very good descision not to say anything anymore. If you want always to say something annoying, that better not to say anything at all.
disapproval

Edited by hedieh on Aug 20, 2007 - 9:47 PM

ya... for sure i agree with everyone other than "rustedfox"
he really stinks of arrogance...!
i think u need to take time off.... take a break.
just dnt think abt the exam for now.
i am sorry but since i am an IMG i dnt know abt ur dismissal from school n all.
like some wise person said on this forum... with failure u just lose the money.. but u still have a chance!
AND FOR GOD'S SAKE... REMEMBER... FAILURE DOESNT MEAN GOD HAS ABONDONDED U, IT DOES MEAN GOD HAS A BETTER IDEA!
in the kaplan Q book, Dr. Daughtery says" getting a low score or failin the exam DOES NOT in ne way say tht u cannot be a good doctor, its just tht they have set the standards tht way!
ALL THE BEST!

smiling face

this is for rusted fox...
i think your ill....
u need treatment!
GET WELL SOON!shaking head

I have a request from Forum Leaders:

Please Block the Rustedfox !

RustedFox wrote:
Okay, THIS will be my last post.

good, thank God

pmkin i dont know what 2 tell u since ur situation is different from us

as i understood u study in us,,,u need 2 pass it 2 continue & get MD

thats not our situation us " IMG ppl"

so dont really know what 2 tell u

but why dont u give another try at different medschool?? out side ur country

f u r willing 2 start where u started 2 yrs back,,,b4 medschool

BTW, what is ur major/college degree???that may help ,,,u can do postgraduate studies in ur major ...

may b u imagined ur self as MD but remember "THERE IS LIFE AFTER MEDICINE"

REMEMBER most of us r IMG/IMS so we really not the most wise ppl 2 advice u ,,u probably need 2 contact ppl who have gone through what u had

i hope the best 4 u

RustedFox wrote:

I took the exam ONCE, and it cost me OVER 1000 USD. 700 for the test fee, 50 in gasoline to and from the testing site, 100 for a hotel room next to the testing site, and 50 USD in food/miscellaneous expenses. Couple that with the 100+ USD spent on books, Q-banks, etc in preparation.

you got lucky with spending just 1k. majority of us spend many times more than that for a single attempt. $100 for books, qbanks etc? i'll speak for myself that i've spent more than that just for uw. more than the total of all the figures quoted above for the rest of the material not inclusive of my exam fees obviously. and i know some can afford to spend more, and they do.

so, if you think this was all about money, you're seriously mistaken. people endure much more to make it.

nobody has the right to take away someone else's hope. and i believe in that very strongly. and that's the reason i'm speaking out. in a patient's care, the doctor's duty is to lay out the options, rather than just telling the patient to quit, coz the cancer is extensively metastasized. and i think someone who doesn't do it this way is a bad doctor, and the world, not just america, could do without more such docs.

helpful advice changes shape as details appear and change. but dismissive statements are only very demoralizing.

Oh my God shocked Oh my God !!!!! My theory of EVOLUTION is working. Its true, you guys, you guys, you should read this. sticking out tongue

https://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/59365

hey pmkin, don't give up. BUT AGAIN, don't repeat. analyse, either by yourself or with the help of someone, what went wrong in the previous attempts. maybe askdoc's posts that are pinned on the top might help you.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Failed Step 2CK-school dismissed
failing step 2 3x
3x step2, 2x step1, 1xcs... chances?
show Related resources

Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Web Prep
USMLEWorld Step 2 CS Course
USMLEWorld Step 1 Qbank

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact