Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

webpath5  

• 0/5

Author9 Posts

A 40-year-old woman has had a feeling of abdominal discomfort for the past 8 months. On pelvic examination, there is a right adnexal mass. An abdominal CT scan demonstrates a 7 cm cystic mass involving the right ovary with small areas of calcification. The uterus is normal in size. The right fallopian tube and ovary are removed surgically. Grossly, the mass on sectioning is filled with abundant hair and sebum. Microscopically, the mass has glandular spaces lined by columnar epithelium, squamous epithelium with hair follicles, cartilage, and dense connective tissue. Which of the following statements regarding this type of neoplasm is most appropriate?

A A sarcomatous element is usually present.

B A human papillomavirus infection preceded development of this mass.

C Metastases are unlikely to be present.

D Primitive immature tissues resembling those from an embryo can usually be seen.

E Such a mass is often seen to arise in the testis.

E

am confused though

D Primitive immature tissues resembling those from an embryo can usually be seen.

me too thinking bw D and E but with E Often is the key word whereas they arent often in Testes i think

well teratoma DOES present in testis as well :S
its the embryoma that resembles embryo...if you ask me

yep I dint get this right either,nod

ans is C,

The cystic nature and circumscribed appearance of the mass are consistent with a mature cystic teratoma, which contains tissues representing all germ layers of the embryo.

D.A variety of tissue types from ectoderm, mesoderm and endoderm can be recognized in a teratoma, but these are typically 'mature' fully differentiated elements and not the primitive or immature elements of early embryonic tissues.
E.In the testis, they are usually present with a malignant component such as embryonal carcinoma.

umm..I was confused between C and E...
definitely it dint seem to be D if you ask me...HAIR are quite MATURE :P
they arent immature...are they? grin

but OFTEN might be the word that I dint read...
although they can DEFINITELY present in TESTIS with the same appearance.... smiling face

c..........as teratomas do not usually metastasize

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact