Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

To BBB,Med student performance eval..?  

• 0/5

Author7 Posts

Hi BBB,
I have a number of questions here:

1. A friend recently told me of the Medical students performance evalution as an additional requirement in the application process. I havent read anything about this in the ecfmg website or the nrmp website as well. What exactly is this?

2. I jusr got an LOR from my professor in medicine. He indicated that i wish to come back after training to teach. Will this affect my goal of being granted an H1B visa? He says that PD's like to see that in IMG LOR's is it true?

3. where could i get a list of hospitals with the kind of visas they sponsor? is there any such page? or wil i have to look into individual programs in their website? many of these don't indicate what type of visas they sponsor.

4. When a program states that an IMG must have the proper visas- immigration /permanent residency/us citizen/J1 as requirements for application, does it mean that they won't sponsor any H1/J1?

Thank you very much in advance, BBB. MOre power!

shev

1. A friend recently told me of the Medical students performance evalution as an additional requirement in the application process. I havent read anything about this in the ecfmg website or the nrmp website as well. What exactly is this?

From the ECFMG web site: "In addition to passing the required exams, applicants for ECFMG Certification must meet certain medical education credential requirements. All IMGs must have had at least four credit years (academic years for which credit has been given toward completion of the medical curriculum) in attendance at a medical school that is listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED). The physician’s graduation year must be included in the medical school’s IMED listing. Finally, applicants must document completion of all requirements for, and receipt of, the final medical diploma. ECFMG verifies every medical diploma with the appropriate officials of the medical school that issued the diploma.

If you have already graduated from medical school when you submit your first application to ECFMG, you must include copies of your medical diploma and a recent photograph with your application. If you are still a student when you first apply, you must send the copies of your diploma and your photograph as soon as you graduate. Once you have submitted your diploma and photograph, you do not need to resubmit them unless you are asked to do so.

The exact name of the medical credential that you must provide is listed in the ECFMG Reference Guide for Medical Education Credentials. If the document you provide is not in English, you must also provide an English translation.

ECFMG will use the copies of your diploma and your photographs to verify your diploma directly with your medical school. ECFMG will notify you in writing when it sends your medical diploma for verification and when it receives verification of your diploma from your medical school."

2. I jusr got an LOR from my professor in medicine. He indicated that i wish to come back after training to teach. Will this affect my goal of being granted an H1B visa? He says that PD's like to see that in IMG LOR's is it true?

I have never seen that in a LOR

3. where could i get a list of hospitals with the kind of visas they sponsor? is there any such page? or wil i have to look into individual programs in their website? many of these don't indicate what type of visas they sponsor.

Individual web sites. Maybe at http://www.scutwork.com or at the FRIEDA website from the AAMC web site.

[QUOTE]4. When a program states that an IMG must have the proper visas- immigration /permanent residency/us citizen/J1 as requirements for application, does it mean that they won't sponsor any H1/J1?"

Looks like they want PR, Citizen or J1. Call them and verify if necessary.

thank u very much! uv'e been a great help!

when my professor expresses that i intend to come home to teach after residency, will this affect the type of visa that programs will have given me? like, will they be more likely to give me J1 instead of H1B?

By the time that you hire into a residency, after having interviewed a number of people, most programs won't remember what your recommendation letters said. Besides, it's not against the law to change your mind.

Just make certain that if you are looking for an H1 visa for this year, you know that you will start late because of the H1 visa cap, and that you are ready to apply immediately (Step 3 cleared).

Good luck

this might help.. .. read about hte cap fromthis website.....

The USCIS will continue to process H1B petitions for persons who are
filing=
for H1B extensions, amending the terms of their H1B employment,
changing H=
1B employers, or requesting H1Bs for second employers. Further, not all
H1B=
petitions for first-time H1B seekers are subject to the cap. H1B
employees=
of institutions of higher education, or of related or affiliated
nonprofit=
entities, nonprofit research organizations, or governmental research
organ=
izations, as well as J-1 physicians granted Conrad waivers, are not
subject=
to the cap.

i guess we are exempt fromthe cap, as long as the hospital we are applying for is a not for profit type. correct ime if im wrong, BBB.
http://www.murthy.com/consult.htm

thanks for the advise.

Different hospitals have different degrees of affiliations with universities. It must be a direct financial affiliation to be exempt from the cap....Check with the program that you are interested in to see if they are affected by the camp..

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

medical student performance evaluation
Deans letter/Medical student's performance evaluat
Medical Student Performance Eva.
show Related resources

Basic Concepts in Pharmacology: A Student's Survival Guide

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact