Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Just starting the prep.....  

• 0/5

Author6 Posts

How many days on an average should be taken for Medicine prep. if one wants to take exams in 4 months?

Please guide me as I am really confused how to go with the time table? Want to get suggestions from you all as you are more experienced than me :P

Kindly help sad

As long as it should take you.....it took me exactly 2 months....did a lot of time wasting though.....but i always finish each section and answer as many multiple choice questions as i cld

in 10 days id finish my 2nd month and be ready to go for Medicine i assume..and i am actually finishing Psychiatry with it
I have another month for Gyne and Surgery and Epidemiology.....

and one week to do a lot of MCQ and simulated tests....but i am not taking the USMLE...i am actually doing the Canadian counterpart....
I might be going for the step once my canadian results are out

good luck

Could you plz advice me where to prepare internal medicine from. I also have been studynig for canadian MCCEE. I 've heard that Kaplan is not enough for internal medicin, but I hate Toronto notes and prefere kaplan notes.. My exam will be in november. Not much time?! Where are you studyng from?
Good luck
Ann

Hello Ann

WIsh u some good luck
and one thing..take it serious..... that is fine.. but don't panic from now.....
It is real early for that....

The kaplan is ...as i see it ...not enuf for either Medicine , Psychiatry and Public Health.....

Public health ...a lil more details...and some nose pinching and delving into the most boring Toronto Notes...is good

Medicine......even though Kaplan is really not enuf ..not even for step 2(again that is how i see it)
I studied Medicine real slow.....Id answer loads of Multiple choice Quesions...every time id finish a chapter form kaplan...and then i reformat the kaplan notes so that i add all the xtra info i got.....

i progressing well...The importan thing is to see that ur oriented to the different clinical scenarios.....
SO my advice is for u to go ahead and study kaplan Medicine and then answer MCQ...
Good choices wld be any two of these....
1...NMS review
2...Q book
3...Q bank
4.. Harrison and Cecil Pre-test ...the reaons why these are good ..is that they divide the section by chapter...so u can actually orgainze urself to answer questions after each chapter or even after each section....
and take ur time and fill in all the xtra info.....
U can tell if a case is too far from reality and not high yield and takes so much time to eb memoizing...
Just chuck it away

Psychiatry......ur choice is Kaplan....it is a good review but still not extremely enuf......esp with Mood and psychotic disorders....
which are really high yield.....
So either Kaplan or even Blueprints Psychaitry with MCQ's at the end of each chapter.....

Little advices......Use Toronto notes ....in checking at the beginning of each chapter.....
Signs and symptoms...
Investiogations.....
These are good.... i know they're good but i didn't do all of them cuz idon't have Toronto notes ...i got it on CD and it is scratched and i can't seem to open every chapter.....
I tried Nephrology and they got the Investigation section written very nicely.....

Well that is all that is on my mind so far....

yeah after ur done with that attempt to answer some MCCEE old tests....
U will find ur swishing them

The best of luck...antyhig else u need to know ....Let me know....

I got my exam in August and i still have not touched Surgery or Gyne and a lil Pediatrics i have finished but i am comfortable..

I went a bit too slow....but i can feel that nothing is more bulky than Medicine and Psychiatry

****** Another important peice of advice for anyone........whenever u study ...try to finish wahtever u finish well.... that means make sure u leave Pulmonary Medicine when u know u can answer the MCQs right.....
That is the most important thing is Quality and not Quantity esp when u have time.....U will be done with the Quantity

Dear Colleague, thank you so much for your detailed response, your help is really appreciated. I will follow your instructions and let you know how I am progressing.
Thank you and good luck on your exam.
Ann

hi
i am sitting in MCCEE in may 2004
and iam studying MCCQE but it is very volatile book and i feel that it is not nough for MCCEE can you please suggest me any other books and can you send me MCQs which you have
i will be very thank full
also tell me any cds which are available for practice exam

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

just starting ck prep
just starting prep for dec/jan
To Meg, Just starting for step 1 :(
show Related resources

Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Web Prep
NY CS PREP
Gold Step 2 CS Prep

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact