Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

NA Q1  

• 0/5

Author6 Posts

A 38 yr old female complains of left leg pain.3 weeks ago while standing on ladder to change light bulb,she suddenly developed and ache in her left hip area.later that day she suffered sharp shooting pain down to the posterior aspect of left leg to left great toe.Pain was made worse by sitting or standing.weakness,numbnes and sphincter were denied.back pain was abesent and no H/O trauma.

what nerve(s) and roots implicated in this woman's pain?where weakness might be expected and what reflexes might be lost?

I give it a long shot. The sciatic nerve got clamped by piriformis muscle – sudden hip pain. As a result, tibialis nerve (most) + peroneus communis are under compression – sharp shooting pain at distal post. leg + big toe (n. tibialis).

Weakness plantar + dorsal flexors.

Reflex loss, Achilles tendon reflex.

Haven't done Anatomy yet but clinically looks like SCIATICA. I have to look it up later.

nodnod

Jackofknives wrote:
I give it a long shot. The sciatic nerve got clamped by piriformis muscle – sudden hip pain. As a result, tibialis nerve (most) + peroneus communis are under compression – sharp shooting pain at distal post. leg + big toe (n. tibialis).

Weakness plantar + dorsal flexors.

Reflex loss, Achilles tendon reflex.

nodnod

nod right

what nerves and root------->L5-S1(possibly S2 also),Lumbo-sacral plexus--yes sciatic nerve

Weakness would be expected in the hamstring and potentially all muscles below knee but esp in the FOOT PLANTAR-FLEXORS.

Ankel jerk is mainly mediated by S-1 might be lost in sciatica

welldone guyzzsmiling face

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Na+K+ pump
FE Na+
Na K ATPase in nuerons
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact