Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

septic arthritis of hip  

• 0/5

Author7 Posts

UW says do surgical drainage at first!! and then antibiotics which is nafcillin for kids more than 5 years old. nafcillin and third generation cephalosporin in infants. blueprints doesn't talk about drainage at all
and says cefotaxime for neonates and ceftriaxone for young children. I'd never heard of surgical drainage as ''treatment'' for septic arthritis of hip!!!

Yes it is surgical drainage( dx and t/t) and then cover with antibiotics..UW and kaplan surgery and peds has the same info..

thanks a lot Aashi. But blueprints is a Nelson summary in fact. How about antibiotics choice?

Spetic Arthritis is Considered to be a closed abscess, and do not expect antibiotic treatment alone to resolve the infection irregardless of age or immune state.
http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic438.htm

Nadia for the sake of usmle step 2, stick to the info what UW and kaplan has to offer..that is what the boards are expecting us to answer,all those additional info will come into use when u r in a residency..till then stick with materials that really matters in this step,just an advice...
and just for the additional info, i chked nelson peds, and they have the same opinion like UW and kaplan....

GL

Edited by Aashi on Mar 27, 2007 - 10:01 AM

Thanks again dear Aashi. I studied blueprints for my preparation and didn't do kaplan notes. My exam is in a month and so I don't have time to go through new materials. But I appreciate your advice.

" Nadia for the sake of usmle step 2, stick to the info what UW and kaplan has to offer..that is what the boards are expecting us to answer,all those additional info will come into use when u r in a residency..till then stick with materials that really matters in this step,just an advice...
and just for the additional info, i chked nelson peds, and they have the same opinion like UW and kaplan.... "

Well said Aashi.......couldnt have put it in a more apt manner,, as they say hit the nail on the head winkwink

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

septic arthritis
septic arthritis
septic arthritis
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact