Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

This one made ME think again 2  

• 0/5

Author12 Posts

A 15-year-old girl has a history of acute difficulty breathing when playing basketball. Her symptoms include inspiratory wheezing, increased respiratory rate, throat tightness, and chest discomfort. Premedication with albuterol has minimal effect.

What is the most likely diagnosis?

A) Exercise-induced asthma.

B) Gastroesophageal reflux disease.

C) Musculoskeletal chest pain.

D) Hyperventilation.

E) Vocal cord dysfunction

throaght tightness throws me off asthma
i bet on E

I think E is the correct answer.
Wheezing, cough, a feeling of tightness in the throat, hoarseness and voice change, stridor, shortness of breath, dyspnea on exertion, inspiratory difficulty, sudden episodes of shortness of breath and unresponsiveness to bronchodilators and corticosteroids are suggestive of vocal cord dysfunction.

Edited by Diego Casali on Mar 09, 2007 - 7:42 AM

good reasoning...that throat tightness....what is the correct one

A?

E

The correct answer is E. One of the most common disorders that mimics asthma is vocal cord dysfunction (VCD). Patients with VCD present with hoarseness, coughing, dyspnea, and loud wheezing, along with other symptoms mentioned above. Pulmonary functions indicate airway obstruction due to an extrathoracic component. It appears that paradoxical inspiratory vocal cord adduction causes airflow restriction at the level of the larynx, thereby resulting in a flattened inspiratory loop on flow-volume diagram. VCD presents a diagnostic challenge, and often leads to unnecessary treatment for asthma. In this patient, a beta-2 agonist was ineffective, even though she displays symptoms with exertion. This argues against answer A. The distinction between VCD and asthma may be less clear in other patients, since the two disorders sometimes coexist. The clinical history does not support the diagnoses of gastroesophageal reflux disease, musculoskeletal chest pain, or hyperventilation

new-n-lost, i think you confused 2 differenet questions
but now i know that i answered another one correctlygrin

and this one toogrin

LOL SO U FOUND THE MISTAKE I MADE

no problem, we all made mistakes, and sometimes not so innocent lake this onewink

i m sorry i had seen my friend INDIdoc's Post when i answered the post, i m sorry if i have offended u cos the msg was not intended/directed towards u.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

This one made ME think again
Think one made me think
This one made me think..
show Related resources

Clinical Biochemistry Made Ridiculously Simple
USMLE Step 3 Made Ridiculously Simple
Liebman's Neuroanatomy Made Easy and Understandable

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact