Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Bacteriophage  

• 0/5

Author2 Posts

I have a question for you bright biologists out there.

I am quite impressed by bacteriophage and its purpose; however, after reading about bacteriophage for over half a day, I was unable to find the answer to one question:

How's is it that bacteriophage locate the host cell?. Now, I understand that to enter the host cell, the phage's attach their receptiors to the surface of the host. But how's the Bacteriophage able to locate the bacteria in the first place? -I am guessing the bacteria release impulses which attract the phage's but I am fairly new to the study of biology so I may be wrong.

Anyways, I tried google and wikipedia but no explaination as to how the bacteriophage locate the host cell.

Thanks in advanced.

secret wrote:
I have a question for you bright biologists out there.

I am quite impressed by bacteriophage and its purpose; however, after reading about bacteriophage for over half a day, I was unable to find the answer to one question:

How's is it that bacteriophage locate the host cell?. Now, I understand that to enter the host cell, the phage's attach their receptiors to the surface of the host. But how's the Bacteriophage able to locate the bacteria in the first place? -I am guessing the bacteria release impulses which attract the phage's but I am fairly new to the study of biology so I may be wrong.

Anyways, I tried google and wikipedia but no explaination as to how the bacteriophage locate the host cell.

Thanks in advanced.

Secret,

I am doing my research in phages during last 5 years, so I know something about them. I think the question you are asking is not correct. phage is not attracted with bacterial impulses, at least there is not any known long distance interaction between host cell and bacteriophage. Phage exists where its host bacteria exists, and as soon as it finds the right receptor on bacterial cell surface, it attaches to it and "injects" its DNA, which starts either lysogenic or lytic cycle, depending the nature of phage. For example, if I want to isolate the phage for Acinetobacter, I can look for them in the lake water or something, but if I want to find Pseudomonas phage, I can not definitely find it in the lake water, as I need to look for them in sewage water, most probably hospital sewage. I mean, I should expect particular phage in the places, where its host could exist. I do not know what is exactly you're asking, but let me knkow if there is anything I can help.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

NMBE Form5-2 #4 Bacteriophage
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact