• 0/5

Author19 Posts

Dendritic cells are present in which area of lymph node-

A. Cortex
B. Paracortex

A...i thinksmiling face

A

Ok now what would be your ans. here

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) is associated with malignant transformation of mature B cells (Burkitt lymphoma) and dendritic cells (Horlgkin disease). In the lymph node, dendritic cells would be found in the

A. Paracortical area
B. Primary follicle
C. Germinal center
D. Outer cortex
E. Medulla

I always thought that the dendritic cells were antigen presenting cells and thus found in the region of the paracortex where the T cells would be. Thus my answer would be paracortex to both of them

Edited by Ancylostoma on Feb 06, 2007 - 9:55 AM

I donno ... i just remem stumbling over a Q which said Dendritic cells/APCs = Outer cortex ; Plasma cells = Medulla ... I might be getting it totally wrong .. let me know the explanation, if any shocked

also didn know in hodgkins disease there`s transformation of dendritic cells ... haven`t finished patho though ... what`s the source ?

well I am confused because kaplan says -

"The thymic epithelial cells, dendritic cells, and macrophages present self-antigens (but not foreign antigen) to the developing T cells in the cortex."

"Immunocompetent B cells move from the bone marrow after maturing to the follicles in the cortex of the lymph nodes. Immunocompetent T cells move from the thymus to the paracortex of the lymph nodes. Macrophages and dendritic cells are found throughout the node to trap foreign antigen that enters via afferent lymphatic vessels." sad

it is APC and that is why i think it should be in outer cortex to meet B cell - AG recognition - AB specific Lymph out of the node
if it was thymus, i would go with medulla, but in lymph node - i still think it's cortex, where naive B-lymph are
i still can't say for sure
in K-book they don't specify this particular detail, it mast be somewhere in patho...which i missed....

what`s the source ?

kaplan micro/immuno 2002 notes,ch=7,q=8 smiling face

i don;t have this book, and there is no such Q in ch 7 of book that i have

well ans is A. Paracortical area

thankx 2 all of u

the reason I have paracortical regions is after doing many questions we find that the majority of dendritic cells are found in the paracortical region where they are present antigent to the t cells. I have done a mutilple qs with that answer and even made comments next to my anatomy histology notes that the paracortex is where the dendritic cells are found predominantly. I could be from immuno notes, could be from the lectures but I definately wrote them in.

Hi,
found out kaplan new immu notes, lady lecturer, did not explain clearly, so hard to understand & grap the concepts.
Any suggestion? Any other text or books to know , understand the immunology?

shaking head

Thanks,
GL

Jawetz the best ever or NMS

new_n_lost,

Thanks!!!!!nod

You mean Jawetz, the micro & immu review one, NMS immunology one?

Have old old one, need new one or not?

Thanks.

hi guys
The machrophages in lymph nodes are called dendritic cell which are found in medulla more precisely medulary sinus (along with reticular cells)
So the answer is Medulla E

Primary follicle - is found outside of cortex -matured B cells
Germinal center- is inner cortex where you find still maturing B cells
Outer cortex - where you find primary follicles
Paracortex is found between cortex and medulla -that's where you find T cells and hight number of endothelial venules(place whre B and T cells enter circulation)
Medulla consist of medulary cord which are really Blood vessels (place where you find plasma cells and lymphocytes ) and medulary sinus where you find machrophages= dendritic cells + reticular cells
Hope it helps

Fa aid says medullary sinus, but kaplan says paracortex. Take your pick

I know it can be really confusing... since I have not seen the book that clearly defines it
I think many of book talk about dentritic cells and machrophages as different things... but I beleive they are same thing

Keepgoing... yes dendritic cells /machrophages are found troughout the lymph node... put place where they are most concentrated would be medullary sinus
I found reference here it is
www.lab.anhb.uwa.edu.au/mb1...Pages/Lymphoid1/lymph1.htm

Good discussion

smiling face

Maybe here is better explanation
Sinuses - narrow intermediate (cortical) sinuses convey lymph from the subcapsular sinuses to the broad, tortuous medullary sinuses. Collagen and reticular fibers covered by stellate endothelial cells, crisscross the sinuses. Macrophages cling to these, and participate in trapping foreign particles carried by the lymph. These become dendritic antigen-presenting cells priming T cells to initiate an immune response by presenting antigen fragments complexed with major histocompatibility (MHC) class II molecules. Macrophages may also come from peripheral tissues, for example Langerhans cells from the epidermis, enter lymph nodes via the afferent lymph to become dendritic cells. Lymphocytes enter the lymph as it flows through the lymph node to ultimately return to the blood stream.
refference
www.llu.edu/llu/medicine/an...ossary/syllabus/lymph.html

smiling face

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

fc receptor on dendritic cells?
resting cell,permanent cell'''
cell division
show Related resources

High-Yield Cell and Molecular Biology
Anatomy, Histology & Cell Biology: PreTest
Board Review Series Cell Biology and Histology

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact