Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

viruses  

• 0/5

Author6 Posts

A patient is a well developed yng man of 16 yrs of age who has been working on a combine crew this summer . He has a sudden onset of malaise and fever and complain of global headache and a stiff neck and back. CSf reveals an elevated pressure, normal glucose but elevated proteins. the predominant cell is a lymphocyte.

A) echo virus
B) coxsackie
C) Herpes Simplex 1
D) Grestmann Strausler's

B ?

Dont you just love how the stem tells you all the csf information and its absolutely worthless.

A ? I have a feeling it was the most common cause of viral meningitis. The only thing I memorised about them is that they cause aseptic meningitis. I wouldnt be surprised if B was the answer. C is the most common cause of sporadic encephalitis in the US. what makes a sporadic encephalitis? I have no clue

Edited by Ancylostoma on Jan 30, 2007 - 3:31 PM

from disease control and prevention site

About 90% of cases of viral meningitis are caused by members of a group of viruses known as enteroviruses, such as coxsackieviruses and echoviruses. These viruses are more common during summer and fall months. Herpesviruses and the mumps virus can also cause viral meningitis.

now how to find MCC among MCC?

what is Grestmann Strausler's?

grestmann strauslers is a prion diseased. Thats the only thing I know about it.

the answer is echo virus.... about 70 % aseptic meningitis caused my enterovirus. so had thts been the option..i'ld have gone for that. all are type of picorna viruses .( positive RNA , naked icosahedral )

grestman strausslers is caused by prion and causes spongiform encephalopathy. ( CJ is another which is autosomal doinant )

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

+RNA viruses
ALL THE VIRUSES MADE RIDICULOUSLY DIFFICULT!?
viruses
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact