Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Rep hormone matching  

• 0/5

Author12 Posts

In the following gp of hormones involved in female reproductive physiology, match the hormone in the answers with the most appropriate description if its physiologic role in the items below.

a) FSH
b) LH
c) Chorionic gonadotrophins
d) Chorionic somatopmammotropin
e) Progesterone
f) Beta estradiol
g) Inhibin
h) prolactin
i) oxytocin
j) gonadotropin releasing hormone

1) When secreted from the pars nervosa, this polypeptide hormone stimulates contraction of smooth muscle inuterus and myoepithelial cells in mammary gland ducts

2) This hormone is secreted by cells in adenohypophysis/. Its titers rises during pregnancy and is required for milk secretion

3) this hormone is secreted by placenta. It is required for growth and development of ducts of mammary glands. It is also secreted by ovary where it stimulates endometrial glandular growth prior to ovulation

4) the release of this hormone from pituatary gland is inhibited by dopamine. It shows marked increase in secretion during and after periods of nursing

5) This is a glycoprotein hormone secreted by the placenta. its chief function is to stimulate continued growth of corpus luteum during pregnancy

6) Small quantities of this hormone are secreted by luteal cells of corpus luteum . It inhibits secretion of FSH from anterior pituatary

7) A surge in secretion of this hormone is required for a mature ovary follicule to progress to rupture

8) this hormone is secreted bythe hypothalamus in a pulsatile fashion.It is a decapeptide

1) i
2) h
3) f
4) i
5) c
6) g
7) b
8) j

don't you think 4 should be h...prolactin

u r right asmi, too long of a matching, more typos :oops:

No dxtxpx that was a great q -although when i look at definitions for that particular category-"I feel like Im only at the tip of the iceberg" :shock:

How can answer for Q.6 be inhibin?Inhibin is only seen released by sertoli cells in males.The correct answer is progesterone and/or estrogen.
I'm not too happy with question 3 because estrogen released by placenta is an estriol(unlike the estrogen released by ovaries(corpus) which is estradiol.

products of the ovarian compartments include the following:
from the granulosa: Müllerian-inhibiting substance, activin, inhibin, follicle regulatory protein, insulin-like growth factor-1, epidermal growth factor-like, platelet-derived growth factor, proopiomelanocortin, and gonadotropin surge-inhibiting factor;
from the theca: transforming growth factor- and transforming growth factor-, renin, inhibin, and relaxin;
and from the follicular fluid: luteinizing inhibitor and luteinizing stimulator, oocyte meiosis inhibitor, follicle regulatory protein, and renin.

Thank you bobby....could you kindly quote me the source of your information.I've been reading BRS physiology and they mention what I said above regarding Q.6.....there was no mention of an inhibin causing negative feedback in females...but the hormones causing negative feedback were progesterone and estrogen.On the other hand it mentions inhibin causes negative feedback of testosterone.Also it says the mullerian inhibiting substance is released in the testes so as to prevent the developemnt of the female internal genital tracts.......however according to your source it is also present in the ovaries.....if thats the case then how does the female genital tract develop if it contains the mullerian inhibiting substance?

hi malaysian, i got that from the explanation of a similar question. actually i copied and pasted the explanation here.
like u, i also have some doubt. they say the ovaries secret Renin. maybe be in very small quantities that might not have any physiologic effect.
the inhibin from the ovaries might have some differences from that from the testes, or the quantity might be too small for any significant effect.
of course this is just my oppinion.
there are many of those homones that are realy strange((like luteinizing inhibitor and luteinizing stimulator, oocyte meiosis inhibitor)

It is suppose to be an estrogen. Small quantities of estrogen are secreted by luteal cells of corpus luteum +progesterone. Only estrogen can give a negative feedback for FSH at this situation. Progesterone inhibits LH secretion. this is what you can read for step 1 but

www.inhibin.com/Application...nInfo.aspx?applicationID=2
Ovulation
Under the control of Gonadotropins (FSH, LH) and Inhibin B, the DOMINANT antral follicle (now 2cm), having completed its development, ruptures under the influence of hormones and the production of suitable enzymes. The ooycyte is duly released.
DOMINANCE

The fact that only one or, at most, a very few oocytes are ovulated with each cycle, despite the huge number of preantral follicles, is due to the way folliculogenesis is regulated.

There are three stages for a preantral follicle to become a shed oocyte: recruitment, selection and dominance.

Up to five preantral follicles are recruited to the antral stage at each cycle, under the influence of the growing FSH level. The FSH receptors on the follicle cells start to multiply.

As a response to FSH stimulation, the granulosa cells produce Inhibin B which has a negative feedback effect on the pituitary and reduces the release of FSH. As the FSH level falls, only those follicles which have developed sufficient receptors are able to continue.
Final domination is achieved as the follicle expresses hormones for autocrine stimulation of growth and development, as well increasing the aromatase activity for production of estrogenic steroids.
sorry i put it like different topic

Thanx emi777LY

smiling face Welkome

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

GI Hormone matching
study partner Dominican Rep.
pharmaceutical sales rep
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact