Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

CS EXAM EXPERIENCE  

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

HI

I HAVE BEEN A SILENT OBSERVER FOR LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS AND HERE IS MY EXAM EXPERIENCE.

I TOOK MY EXAM ON AUGUST 19, 2006 AT HOUSTON. I STUDIED 4 WEEKS. 4-5 HOURS PER DAY (MON-FRI) AND WEEKENDS 6-8 HOURS PER DAY. I USED UW AS THE MAIN STUDY MATERIAL. FA I USED FOR DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS ONLY.

WE WERE TWO FRIENDS TAKING EXAM ON THE SAME DATE AND SAME CENTER. FIRST WE PRACTICED THE CASES AND SECOND TIME WE FULLY SIMULATED THE CASES COMPLETELY. IT HAS HELPED ALOT IN THE REAL EXAM. THE MINIMUM WE PRACTICED WAS PE AND PN. WHICH WAS A MISTAKE.

HERE ARE SOME TIPS WHICH YOU FIND HELPFUL.

1) CS EXAM IS VERY BASIC AND GENERALIZED. UW IS AN EXCELLENT AND COMPLETE SOURCE. STICK WITH IT.

2) FA IS OK BUT IT IS FAR MORE DETAILED THEN NEEDED. I FOUND IT JUST COMPLICATES YOUR PREP. PROBABLY JUST READ THE DDX.

3) SIMULATION OF PATIENTS IS VERY HELPFUL. A KEY TO SUCESS. TRY TO SIMULATE. AT LEAST FEW CASES LIKE ABD PAIN, CHECT PAIN, CVA, DM, HTN, CHILD CASES, MUSCULOSKELETAL CASES. THAT WILL BE VERY HELPFUL.

PRACTICE YOUR PN. FIRST WRITE NORMAL WRTTING PATTREN OF EACH SYSTEM LATER ABN FINDINGS. WE HAVE PRACTICED BY WRITTING 6-8 PN AND I FOUND IT WAS NOT SUFFCINET IN THAT HIGH PRESURE ENVIRONMENT OF EXAM.

PRACTICE PE WITH COMPLETE CASE SIMULATION. BECAUSE IT IS ALSO EVALAUTED HOW YOU DO IT AND HOW ORGANIZED YOU R. IF YOU PRACTICE IT. YOU WILL BE ORGANIZE QUICK AND FAST. REMEMBER ITS A TIMED ENVIRONMENT

4) I WATCHED DIFFERNET PE VIDEOS AND TOOK THE EASIEST AND FASTEST WAYS TO PERFORM PE FROM ALL THESES VIDEOS. SO I WAS ABLE TO DO WHOLE CNS EXAM IN 3-5 MINUTES.

5) WE MADE A PROFORMA OR SOME OPEN ENDED QUESTIONS WHERE WE ASK LESS QUESTION BUT PT IS FORCED TO GIVE US INFORMATION LIKE

IF THERE IS ANY SIMILAR OR OTHER DISEASE IN THE FAMILY.

HAVE U EVER HAD ANY ALLERGIES

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR HEALTH IN GENERAL SO FAR

LOTS OF INFO THEY GAVE.

5) ORDER YOUR COAT, STESTHO, DRESS ETC WELL AHEAD OF TIME.

6) PLEASE FOLLOW THE DRESS CODE. IT CAN BE SIMPLE BUT CLEAN AND ELEGANT, GET YOUR HAIRCUT AND FIX YOUR NAILS.

7) ARRIVED AT DAYS INN HOUSTON ON AUGUST 18. IT WAS OK. 2 MILES FROM THE CENTER. ITS CHEAP AND OK FOR THE PRICE.

8) ARRIVED AT THE EXAM CENTER. HOUSTON CENTER IS VERY ORGANIZED AND PERSONAL WERE VERY HELPFUL AND NICE INCLUDING ALL THE PATIENTS.

9) THERE IS NO NEED TO TAKE ENERGY DRINKS, CHOCLATES SINCE THEY HAVE VENDING MACHINES THERE.

10) EXAM STARTED. A VERY HIGH PACED EXAM. YOU START AND YOU DO NOT FEEL WHEN TIME HAS PASSED AND YOU GET THE BREAK. USE COMFORTABLE SHOES. ITS IMPORTANT. DO NOT USE COATS OR JACKETS. ITS NOT COMFORTABLE. MORE U R TIRED, YOUR PERFORMANCE WILL BE AFFECTED.

11) ALL THE PATIENTS WERE NICE EXCEPT ONE PATIENT WHICH WAS NOT ANSWERING FAST BECAUSE HE WAS IN VERY BAD PAIN. EVEN I WAS NOT ABLE TO COMPLETE THAT CASE.

HERE IS MY EXAM CASES EXPERIENCES

READ THE CC AND PT NAME AND AGE AND WROTE PAMHUGSFOSS BEFORE U GO. ITS IMPORTANT. ITS BETTER TO USE 30-40 SECONDS OUTSIDE RATHER YOU SWEAT INSIDE.

KNOCKED THE DOORS. KNOCK HARD, ALL THE TIME
GREETED THE PATIENT WITH THEIR NAMES AND INTRODUCED MYSELF

HERE IS AN IMPORTANT POINT. DO NOT PREPARE LONG SENTENCE TO INTRODUCE OR TO START THE TALK LIKE MOST BOOK TELL YOU BECAUSE AS SOON AS I ENTERED THE ROOM AND I SAID HELLO MR JONES. THE PATIENT RIGHT WAY SAID I HAVE PAIN FOR LAST THREE DAYS IN MY .............. ETC. THEY DO NOT WANT TO WASTE MY TIME. THIS HAPPENED TO ALL MY PATIENTS. NOW I SAID I WILL TRY MY BEST TO HELP HIM AND STARTED.

THE REAL PATIENT ANSWERS MUCH FASTER THAN OUR PRACTICE PATIENTS. SO TIME IS NOT A PROBLEM. I FINSHED ALL EXCEPT ONE IN 13 MINUTES.

DRAPPED ALL PATIENTS AND ASSURED THEM U ARE IN GOOD HANDS AND IF THEY HAVE ANY CONCERN BEFORE I START MY EVALAUTION OR HIST ETC.

INFORMED ALL WHAT I WAS DOING.

HELPED IN LYING DOWN AND SITIING IN EVERY SINGLE ACTION THOUGHT TO MAKE THEM COMFORTABLE. AND TOLD THEM I TRYING MAKE U COMFORTABLE ETC.

WASHED HANDS. AS SOON AS U PRESS SAOP DISPENSER. IT DISPENSED ALOT OF SOAP SO BE CAREFUL WITH IT.

ASK FOCUSED QUESTIONS AND PERFORMED FOCUSED PE. AUSCULTATED LUNGS AND HEART IN ALL CASES.

FORGOT TO DO FUNDOSCOPY AND SENSITIVITY AND CAROTID PULSES IN ONE CASE.

FORGOT TO ASK WALK ACCROSS AND SPINAL MOVEMENTS IN A CASE. JUST LOCALLY PALPATED AND SL TEST.

FORGOT COUNSELLING IN TWO CASES.

ONE CASE WAS NOT COMPLETED. THE PATIENT WAS IN PAIN AND ANSWERED VERY SLOW.

ONE PN SOCIAL HX MISSED

A BIG SMILE, GOOD EYE CONTACT AND OFFERED HELP, SUMMARIZED EACH SECTION AND EXPLAINED MY FINDINGS ANSWERED THEIR CONCERN AND REQUESTED TO CONTACT THE CLINIC IF THEY FIND ANY NEW SIGNS OR SYMPTOMS ETC OR ANY QUESTIONS. SHAKE HAND WARMLY WHEN ENETERED AND LEFT.

WROTE PN AND USED KAPLAN METHOD OR DIGITAL DOCTOR METHOD.

DX AND TEST FIRST THEN PE, THEN HIST

FINALLY ALL THE CASES WERE FROM UW EXCEPT ONE. THAT WAS EASY AND WAS IN THE DIFF DX OF FA.

ANOTHER IMP POINT WHEN U TAKE THE NOTE INSIDE. PLEASE WRITE THEM ORGANIZED BECAUSE IF YOU ARE ORGANIZED, YOU WILL WRITE THE PN FASTER.

DO NOT DRINK COFFEE OR COKE ON EXAM DAY AND REDUCE LIQ INTAKE LITTLE BIT. BEACUSE OF URINATION ETC. IT WILL AFFECT YOUR PERFORMANCE.

THAT WAS MY EXPERIENCE. I TRIED TO WRITE A S MUCH DETAILED AS I CAN SO I CAN RETURN WHAT I GOT FROM THIS FORUM.

I DID OASIS TRICK AND I PASSED. THANK GOD.

IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, I WILL BE HAPPY TO ANSWER

THANKS TO GOD, MY WONDERFUL WIFE, MY SON AND MY FIRENDS FOR THEIR SUPPORT. SPECIAL THANKS TO MY MOM FOR HER PRAYERS FOR ME AND ALL OF YOU WHO WROTE THEIR EXPERIENCES

GOOD LUCK

smiling face

Edited by mytimenow on Nov 08, 2006 - 7:09 PM

thank you and good luck

Wow... mitymenow ,what a naration!!!! Thanks a lot. It is an extremely valualbe information. Congra on your sucess.

THANKS GUYS

Hi mytimenow

I tried Oasis today but It let me to reapply for CS. I think I am gone.

ravi

Edited by ravi_online on Oct 16, 2006 - 11:15 PM

Congratulations. sound like the best prep and exam to me ever smiling face
Good luck for the rest of the path.

so,did you receive your score before the deadline? I thought that CS result last atleast two month...is really good to know that

I RECEIVED MY SCORE ON OCT 12 WHICH WAS THE SCORE RELEASING DATE SET BY USMLE. OASIS UPDATED AFTER 7 WKS.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

CS exam experience
cs exam experience
Exam Experience From recent session of CS
show Related resources

USMLEWorld Step 2 CS Course
NY CS PREP
Gold Step 2 CS Prep

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact