Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Passed-My CS experience!  

• 0/5

Author5 Posts

Hi there folks,im an IMG from India and gave my CS on Aug 5 in Houston.I have to admit my clinical skills from India werent that great as im a recent graduate and didnt keenly interact with patients during my rotations too.With that background let me move on to my prep for CS..i took exactly 3 weeks and devoted 3-4hrs a day on an average during this time.All of my prep was based on usmleworld.com and after an initial reading of the entire material which i printed out, i put up a post on the usmlebuddies.com looking for a fone partner to discuss with and over the subsequent few days was able to find "Deepa."Thus we started taking turns being doc n patient over the fone[i was using skype to call her for free ] for 2 hrs a day for almost 10-15 days. We made sure we simulated the real exam to the extent of even making the " knock..knock" sound at the start of each encounter...even though i postponed the physical examamination part to the end i made sure i watched all the videos carefully towards the end..replayed them on my mind n practiced only once on my wife jus the evening before the exam. Eventhough i could see that i missed out on several things during the mock physical exam my wife felt i was doing fine jus like a real doc...but that wasnt as reassuring coz i could see that i needed to do more...also,jus days or rather a day or 2 before the exam i realised that i didnt cover the patient notes at all..so started memorising the statements for each system..again from only the usmleworld...i kind of felt that it might be good to postpone to fill in the gaps in Physical exam and the patient note but then i was too reluctant to do it as my experience of postponing the exam on step1 didnt yield a good result.So i decided to go ahead...me n my wife drove frm Little Rock,Arkansas to houston for over 6hrs the day before the exam day.Believe it or not i could only sleep for 2 or 3 hrs the night before as i was too tensed up with flashes of the exam keeping me up as i was lying in the bed thru the night.Somehow i was surprisingly not as nervous as i usually get in situations like that[may b that helped too] as i strongly said to myself over n over that being "cool" and "confident" is as imp as all the prep that went in...so i chatted up a bit with the folks before the start of the exam...there was this dude called "ben" frm Little rock who came to take theexam too n he carried a gr8 attitude .He was so jovial and kept reminding all the folks that "this is only an exam..not ur life"..it was a very timely reminder n helped me relax even more...Finally after the orientation the exam starts and time flies by till the end with intermissions for lunch and tea/snacks.I cannot give you the specific details of the encounters but be assured that the cases will be from usmleworld and you will feel very familiar with evrything that goes on there...From the first case till the end of the exam i was wishing i did some more practice on the physical exam and pt notes as i felt i was lacking on those 2 areas...besides i felt i shud have used First aid[for CS ] too as it makes you think of the differential diagnoses in the order of likelyhood....whatever, i came out of the exam thinking if i needed to redo the test i would cover up the weak areas from FA.Added to this i wasnt sure what the new passing standards would mean in reality.But, now that the result is here i feel u dont have to be perfect but what is important is to be confident and cool and "just do it like a real doc!".. i mean..if the simulated patients could act well why cant we equally act as simulated docs!!I would like to thank this forum for all the experiences and discussions put up and eventhough i never posted any till now i feel itz my turn to pay it forward.All da best!

congrats

congrats

congrats.

Dear meledude, you know what... I got impressed with your sensentense " if the simulated patients could act well why cant we equally act as simulated docs!... That is so funny and true. You just pour a pile of energy on me for my prepartion for the exam.
Thanks

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

passed passed passed cs...
Passed CS, my CS experience,tips
Passed cs and my experience.
show Related resources

USMLEWorld Step 2 CS Course
NY CS PREP
Gold Step 2 CS Prep

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact