Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

MEDICAL GENETICS  

• 0/5

Author4 Posts

I have no clue about what is the prerequisite for getting into a med genetics residency. is this a residency or a fellowship?

Hi mihazor,
its a residency,for 5 years.for IM/GENETICS combined, you have to apply to both IM and genetics program separately at the same university...they will interview you twice,once for IM and then for genetics.about the pure genetics program,i am not so sure.there are very few spots available...i wanted to apply in that but let the dream go becoz of various reasons,mostly stupid ones,that makes me stupid too..oh well wotever! GL to you!

Basically there are two ways to pursue medical genetics.

Hard way, If you got a very good score >95 ( preferably 99) then you can directly apply to the 5 year program. Under this 5 year program, first 3 years you learn most of the medicine and then last two years you concentrate more on medical genetics. There are only three 5 year programs that I found in frieda online ( which is an internet resource of knowing about ACGME approved residencies). One in Harvard, One in John Hopkins and one in University of Pennysylvania. So naturally the competition would be very high. Also, there would be local medical graduates preferred over foreign medical graduates. And there would be candidates who would have done research in genetics for a couple of years ( in short research experience)

The other way, get good score- do internal medicine from a reputed university based program- take more research electives, if offered, one in genetics. Make your contacts in dept of genetics where you are doing residency. Then when you are done, after 3 years, work somewhere for one year as a research assistant with a professor who would give you a Letter of Recommendation or if there is a genetic fellowship available there itself, he might even consider you for that position if you have been working with him since one year. And then you can apply for Medical Genetics fellowship for 2 years. Ultimately you would definitely reach your goal if you dont lose patience.

thanks a lot guys!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Genetics, genetics, to be or not to be!
MEDICAL GENETICS
Medical Genetics
show Related resources

Kaplan Medical USMLE Medical Ethics
Medical Microbiology & Immunology Examination and Board Review
Biochemistry & Genetics: PreTest Self-Assessment & Review

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact