Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Will a residency in home country help application  

• 0/5

Author7 Posts

Hi everyone,

I was wondering, I think I am going to finish all steps by march 2007, so I am going to have from march 2007 to June 2008 free, before starting hopefully a residency in 2008, wo I was wondering if I should enter into residency in my home country, to fill that year?

Would being in a residency in your home country at the time of application and interview be considered a plus, since you might have experience in your field,??, or it would be considered a bad thing because you are applying to another program and you are going to quite your current one??

Does anyone have any experience with this, or been in a similar situation, bbb, perhaps you can have some input on this.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Of course it will help - especially if it's the field that you are looking to do in the USA. It's real patient care and that's a good thing.

Thank you bbb, for replying so quickly, I must add, that right now I am the attending physician and medical director of a health promotion center, so I am seeing patients, would being in a residency of my choice be better than working in this setting?

Thanks

Sorry, that's a question that I don't know the answer too. Let me see if I can check with some of the bosses here and get an answer.

thank you bbb, I also have another choice of trying to teach a subject in a local medical school, so these are all things that I want to do, but I also want to make sure I don't only do the thing that I most want, but rather the thing that will help my curriculum the most, of course I plan greads in the 90's in the steps, I am going to be able to get an observership, and maybe a clerkship, I have great letters of recommendation from professor MD's in the US, so the gap of 2007 to 2008, not sure if I should:

1.- Do a year in a residency in my home country

2.- Teach at a local medical school

3.- Keep my general practitioner job as a practicing physician and medical director of an nong-gov health promotion center.

4.- Or try salsa dance lessons, learn a language, return to karate lessons, do volunteer work and do this things that would make me a more rounded person, in other words try to enjoy and do extracurricular activities before I enter the stress of a residency, jeje.

Thanks you very much for your time and advice.

yolanda do 3 and star on 4. 2 wouldn't be a bad idea since you will be reviewing material anyway. But it could be a little bti too mcuh already. Remember the Steps take a lot of time and energy. Stick to 3 and 4.

Thank you Silatk and bbb!!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

residency in home country
Is home country 1yr residency required?
Doing residency in home country
show Related resources

Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Home Study Program
Free Selection criteria of Residency Programs
Iserson's Getting into a Residency

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact