Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Pre-op work-up  

• 0/5

Author11 Posts

What are the pre-op work-up of a 45 year-old female patient with long-standing rheumatoid artyhritis on mexothreate scheduled for a fem-fem bypass?

Hematocrait, CBC, CMP, Glucose, PT and PTT, S creatinine and BUN, LFTs

What about the most important test?

You forgot the most, most important pre-op tests !!!

You are the consultant in a community hospital and you were consulted to do a pre-op work-up.

Please give more specific pre-op work-up !

AAAAA wrote:
What are the pre-op work-up of a 45 year-old female patient with long-standing rheumatoid arthritis on mexothreate scheduled for a fem-fem bypass?

Most inflammtory diseases including rheumatoid diseases are classified as having cardiac risk factors !!

Question did not specify indication for bypass..
I may be missing something here..did you want echo or angio?
not sure.

Please review the pre-op work-up of medical patients with many medical problems going for major vascular surgery.

Those are very important stuff we have to review and I will give you the answer when you at least try to answer the question in a meaningful way !

Why the pt goes for fem-fem bypass, PVD !!

Question does not ask you for teh reason for the bypass, question ask you as a consultant what do you DO ?

As a consultant I would know the existing conditions, reason for bypass and natural history of disease progression.
Every single thing asked for pre-op had a reason that I am sure everyone can understand. and for sure I may be missing something important so let your knowledge be spread..

IN the case of PVD , the risk of comorbid coronary artery disease is 50%. in the regular basis there is no indication for assesment of coronary artery but in the pre op you must r/o it and if it sever you must treat it( maybe CABG ) before another operation. in this case ithink thallium scan is a good choice

whats your oponion AAAAA

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Pre-op work-up
pre op evaluation
To pre-lim or to pre-lim
show Related resources

Step-Up To Medicine
Digging Up The Bones: Biochemistry
Pediatrics - Pre Test

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact