Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

confirm B. Pertussis  

• 0/5

Author7 Posts

which is the test of choice to confirm B. Pertussis?

a)Western Blot

b)EMB

c)Methenamine silver

d)PCR

e)Complement fixation

western blot.

incorrect

PCR

you got it!

Our lab is in the midst of final testing to set up the Pertussis PCR procedure. Culturing for B. pertussis requires fussy Bordet Gengou agar, which must be made up fresh. We buy the agar deeps, and then melt them and add commercial rabbit blood to them. They have to set up, and then we inoculate the swabs. These specimens MUST be a nasopharyngeal spec. collected on a thin wire swab in the NP area to be acceptable for culture. We also require a special charcoal transport medium. Check with your lab to see what they require. Most places send out these cultures and don't mess with them, so individual reference labs will have strict requirements. Once we set up the plates we have to look at them for seven days before signing out the culture. I have no idea what our recovery rate is because these are read on day shift. We probably set up about one per week, more in the winter time.

PCR testing is preferable, in my opinion, to old fashioned culturing in that it is much more sensitive.

thanks for the confirmation buddy. just found this out i think on exam master question bank. {after a while i lose tract of which qs Im looking at}

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Pertussis!
pertussis
Pertussis Treatment
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact