Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

ectopic  

• 0/5

Author11 Posts

b 37. Which of the following is the most reliable indicator of Ectopic gestation a.No gestational sac in USG b.Arias Stella reaction c.Culdo centesis showing blood in the posterior cul-de-sac d.Absence of the normal doubling of hCG levels

"c"... provided there is an accompanying positive pregnancy test....but that would be in case of a "ruptured" ectopic pregnancy.Maybe I am reading too much into the question...hmmm...it could also be "a".confused

d

a i go for this because ultra sound is the best technique to diagnose an ectopic

b? i would go for a if it is no INTRAUTERINE gestationalsac on ultrasound

A is the correct answer.

A

But I did quite a few C in the ER to confirm ectopic

Also d is used in the out-patient OB clinic

You will still do C if a woman comes in with right adnexal pain, beta-HCG positive and they come at night and believe it or NOT, you can not get an ultrasound at 11 p.m. or 2 a.m. to confirm no gestation sac, so you put a needle in the posterior culdo sac.

Hope you don't have to read too long and get ready to "JUST DO IT"

Thanks !

I never use beta HCG doubling time every 2 days as diagnopstic to rule out ectopic

Why?

You can not tell the patient I don't know what you got, come back in 2 days and get a blood test, and another 2 days , and another 2 days.

I don't think you.

In early stage of pregnancy, the beta-HCG will double every 2 days but is feasible practically to tll patient to come back every 2 days to have blood work done !

Got you !nodshaking head

It is NOT feasible to tell patient to come back every two days to check the beta HCG !

So D is not practical and unreasonable on an out-patietn basis

missed abortion too causes Absence of the normal doubling of hCG levels , right? so it isn't the best choice when looking for an ectopic. smiling face am I right?

(a)

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Ectopic
ectopic pregancy
Ectopic pregnancy
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact