Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

X linked recessive carriers  

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

NBME Form 4 concept:

Do males have a 0% chance of being a CARRIER of an X-linked recessive disease (Duchenne's)?! A man has two brothers who died of Duchenne's so what is the probability that he would be a carrier (he wants to know because he wants to have a baby)?!

Yah, i don't think he's a carrier...unless this is a case of incomplete penetrance. not sure tho

I think by "carrier" in the case of an X-R disease in males, they just refer to his chances of being affected.
Or in other words, his chances of Carrying the affected X!
just my guess..

in this guy i think we assume he is asymptomatic despite being old enough...hence the chances of him being a Carrier of the trait are 0. he's a male so he's hemizygous.
what thinks the gang??

correct. for an x linked recessive gene, a man cannot be a carrier unless the disease does not have complete penetrance. because if the only x he has is diseased, he will hae the disease.

male cannot be a carrier, agree with tolito

Don't want to throw a spanner in the works... all sounds good... but what about penetrance? Can't a male have the X gene but the penetrance be low so it's not expressed?

tolito wrote:
correct. for an x linked recessive gene, a man cannot be a carrier unless the disease does not have complete penetrance. because if the only x he has is diseased, he will hae the disease.

agree with tolito!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

x-linked recessive inheritance
Hardy weinberg x linked recessive
X-linked recessive disease
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact