Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Child with a seziure  

• 0/5

Author29 Posts

BUT THE NEXT MOST APPROPRIATE STEP IS CONTROL OF SEIZERS BY BENZODIAZEPINES SO D IS RIGHT

I guess the controversy continues!

The answer is NOT D. You never give benzo to a pedi patient with clonic tonic seizure patient

It is B

yup...its B.

"You never give benzo to a pedi patient with clonic tonic seizure patient "

cud u explain y..i tot the treatment for a siezure in the ER was BDZ...

bump

um....to my understanding....you do not need to give benzos in any seizure setting unless you suspect status epilepticus. Normally your supposed to simply wait for the seizure to end. In the meantime, you make sure the kid doesnt roll off the examination table (for real this time) and does hit anything. Most seizures only last a couple of minutes. Ive had patients seize on me before and we simply made sure they were protected so they didnt hit anything in the room. If it goes longer than a certain time....darn i cant remember the exact number...you dx status and administer benzos. The wording of the question is strange, i think it meant that the child had a seizure attack in the exam room and that subsided and THEN what would you do. Also, I guessed CT scan when I read the question because I would think that the seizure would be a hint that there might be increased intracranial pressure which would then be confirmed by the bulging fontanelle? why would you do a retinoscopic exam to reconfirm? Send the kid it CT, obviously his pressure is elevated and you need to find out the etiology. Waste of time to check eyes if you ask me

"Ive had patients seize on me before and we simply made sure they were protected so they didnt hit anything in the room."

yeah, tried to do that to an alcoholic in delirium and he kicked me so hard on my tummy that i fell 6 feet away. disapproval

B is correct
also agree one can just watch the kid in the first seizing episode, but get everything ready to perform the real action as needed smiling face

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Child abuse, Child Protection F'ships?
A two-year-old child ..................
A seven-year-old child presents to his p
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact