Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Done with exam in Houston...anxious  

• 0/5

Author11 Posts

I took my exam yesterday in Houston and have mixed feelings about my perormance. Let me start with my screw ups, which I think were pretty major. I cant discuss the content of the cases but I'll give you the jist of my mistakes. Well, first of all, everyone in the Houston Center was very nice from the proctors, the sp's to even my fellow examinees. Suprisingly, only twelve people took the exam, I was expecting more. Further, there was an equal distribution of AMG's/students to IMG's which was comforting for me since Im an IMG myself. Well here goes the things I didnt do... Out of the 12 cases.

1sad. Forgot to do a major physical exam on a certain system that was required for this particular case due to nervousness and time restraints.

2. Forgot to ask PAMHUGSSFOSS in one case, because this case required extensive counseling and a comprehensive PE which I thought took precedence but then again, that like minus 10 points already.

3. Only gave 4/5 D/D's on two of my cases.

4. Uncertain about the clarity and flow of my patient note, did bullet form, but included so much information.

Now on the upside.

1.wink Felt confident about 9 out of my 12 cases.

2. Knocked on the door, Smiled like there was no tomorrow, introduced properly, draped, washed hands, answered all challenging questions, counseled, shook hands before and after each counter, summarized and closed for all 12 encounters.

3. Asked if they were comfortable, struck conversation with each patient while washing hands as per a cordMD's advice and asked if there was anything I didnt cover.

4. Though I was incomplete with 2 of my DD's, I nailed all the top 2 likely DD's for each encounter, maybe was off on 1 o2 cases.

So, there it is folks, I studied 3 weeks off and on, tooke the passcsa one day review, and read cases from Usmleworld and FA. Im really anxious about this because I failed step one last Feb, and really wanted to make this happen for me to give me some confidence for when I take step 1 again in 5 weeks and later step2. Anyone out here had similar mistakes but ended up passing?? Im worried and can't stop worrying about my blunders. especially when i read some people's posts that they failed in data gathering but ace'd the English part. Im an American IMG btw.

Encouraging words are welcomed. My advice to all, its a doable exam, but dont take it lightly and get a good nights sleep. I have major insomnia when i take exams and hardly slept at all the night before. I think that is why I messed up on stupid things. Good luck to all.

manolok, from what you say I think you did pretty well.

You sound good about communication skills and you did not say that you had language problems. Those two are scored separetly each and nothing can make up for it. Now, the history taking part is different. Everything there go to the same pile. So, if your history taking and PE at the particular case was good but you screwed up a patient note at that case - history taking and PE will make up for your bad note. If you did good note and good history but missed something on PE-- the two, again, will make up for one so you pass overall. I think you have all the chances for a positive resultsmiling facenod. Now, get some sleep,dude. You said yourself that your step1 exam is coming. No one can think sharp w/o enough sleep. Good luck.

CS obsessed, thanks, your post took alot of anxiety off my back! yeah, time to buckle down again and face step 1! good luck and thanks for the positive response

I feel that you did it quite well. I will take STEP 2 CS on 29th August, but I start nervous.
I think communication skill is my major problem now. I am IMG and never use English in daily
conversation for 24 years since I was born(but I learn at lot of English in school). I've just started using English 3-4 hrs a day for 3 months. And I will go to stay in the USA for 1 month before the exam. Do you have any advice to give me to imporve my communication skill? counselling skill too?

Hope the best for you all

ThaiUSMLE

Hello! i've sent u a PM...

Beautiful country by the way Thaiusmle!!!nod My advice about English skills, since I use to teach English as a second Language before I went to medical school, talk to any native speaker! Invite someone for coffeee, lunch or dinner. But dont be pushy and tell them that you need to practice your English ( they might get turned off), just make friends. Set an afternoon out or even a day going to your local mall and strike conversations with people from different stores just so that you have exposure to different type of Americans of all ranges of ages. Jot words or idiomatic expressions in a little notebook that you dont understand and reference them later. Watch alot of television shows!!! Especially the reality shows and believe me there are a ton out there. You can see how people interact with each other and the language they use. But stay away from shows like "real world on MTV", because the jargon is too youth oriented and YOU DONT want to use that kind of language in your patient encounters. Bottom line is and every language school will tell you this! PRACTICE with a Native speaker. Good luck

ThiUSMLE,,, where is your center ???

I have on 30th of august in Chicago,, i am an IMG,,,

Hi manolok - by all accounts you've done well. Theres always 1-2 cases one screws up - I've been told thats no big deal. Hey - for my first case I called my patient the wrong name for half the encounter!!! - as I was beginning the physical - she sez doc why are you calling me cecily - my name is Donna?? OHMIGOD - so I looked her in the eye and said "Im so Sorry - I really am - I don't know why I've been doing that - because my case note sez "Donna" - shook my head at myself and carried on. I think everyone messes up a case or two esp in the first few cases so I'm sure you'l be fine.

I got my result in 4 wks but it differs from center to center - so just keep studying for the next exam. when r u taking step 2 by the way?

That's so funny cordMD! but anyway, you passed. I was so suprised when I asked the Sp's what there plans are for the summer. They look like they were caught off gaurd. So hopefully, that means a good thing. Well, I take step 2 in end of sept. My real concern right now is step 1 which im taking in about 5 weeks. I still have some topics to study and im getting anxious again. So cordmd, you are done and just waiting for your certificate? wow that's awesome!!! How was your step 2???

Hey manolok,

I passed so i'm pretty sure u will too. Good luck!

thanks docmama for the encouraging words. and congrats to you!! Well, I dont know what your experience was like but my mistakes are still haunting me. If I do fail, I feel that they are coming down really hard and are becoming very strict. I think I did fairly well, but again, I dont know which encounters will be experimental and which will be counted. Hope the ones that I screwed up will be thrown out. In the meantime, Im trying not to think about it coz my step 1 review is killing me. I plan not to open the results of my CS test till after the exam. Good luck to you!

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Pariuri Esports în România
Pariuri Esports în România
237/98 done done done!
show Related resources

Exam Master USMLE Step 2 CS Online
Exam Master USMLE Step 1
Kaplan 1-Day Step 2 CS Simulated Exam

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact